ClubRalliart.com

ClubRalliart.com (http://www.clubralliart.com/index_forum.php)
-   2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Articles and HOW-TOs (http://www.clubralliart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Chrome grill surround "blackout" with 3M Di-Noc tape for $10 (http://www.clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=1839)

Madhun 06-12-2011 03:32 PM

Chrome grill surround "blackout" with 3M Di-Noc tape for $10

2 Attachment(s)
So i thought i'd get adventurous f and decided to get rid of that "chrome".
Cut strips of DiNoc tape i got on Ebay,shipped 12"x26" for $10.00.
Then i layed them out in the sun,to soften.Peeled and pressed onto the chrome surround,going at first a 26" top strip,then bottom and finally sides.
Not perfect,and a i didnt lay the "grain" to flow,but much better then the chrome,or in my opinion the Plast Dip.
Any thoughts?
thanks
Dave

TKiLL 06-12-2011 11:56 PM

I like it! Looks really nice and I like the detail of the stripes.

BravoZero 06-13-2011 11:45 AM

Very nice!

total0wnage 06-13-2011 12:09 PM

look alright, i would suggest next time buying a sheet of it so that u can have the weave in the right direction all around and to remove the ring to wrap.

MTZL 06-13-2011 02:05 PM

I took my time doing it, got 4 x 4 sheet, half of it went to the ring the other half went to the front bumper, I took everything off to do it to make it wrap around & cut so cut marks are not visible.
diamond was done in three piece, fyi. ring was done in one piece. front bumper was done in two piece, three piece including the round cap on the front.

check it out

:D

Madhun 06-13-2011 03:41 PM

thanks guys.Next time im using one piece,this was experiment to see how hard.I tried the mirror,but holy crap thats hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ralliart23 06-13-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTZL (Post 19770)
I took my time doing it, got 4 x 4 sheet, half of it went to the ring the other half went to the front bumper, I took everything off to do it to make it wrap around & cut so cut marks are not visible.
diamond was done in three piece, fyi. ring was done in one piece. front bumper was done in two piece, three piece including the round cap on the front.

check it out

:D

hey mtzl, how did you do the ring so well. take it off then what? did you just cover the whole ring with one sheet, then like cut out the middle, and then wrap it around the sides? how did you do it so there are no wrinkles and its all one piece?

Madhun 06-13-2011 04:07 PM

no kidding,that center piece must have been a PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!with all the compound curves.Cen you give us newbies some tips please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTZL 06-14-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralliart23 (Post 19779)
hey mtzl, how did you do the ring so well. take it off then what? did you just cover the whole ring with one sheet, then like cut out the middle, and then wrap it around the sides? how did you do it so there are no wrinkles and its all one piece?

I took everything apart, if it can be remove, remove it.
Ring is one sheet. If I remember it correctly it was 2x2 for the nose ring.
I lay the dinoc sticky side up, (double check pattern/weave) lay the ring face down on sticky side.
left about three to four inches of material all the way around so you can get a good grip. If you do it in the hot weather you dont need heat gun.
If you do it in the cold weather (may dinoc god help you) it is pita.
You will need plenty of patience to make sure you dont get any wrinkles or bubbles. for the inside curves you will need to cut two slit to relieve tension (not too much or the cut will run into the curve) & bit of heat gun to make it mold-able. Make sure you grab the material tight enough so there are no slack but not too tight. (this take practice.) So my suggestion is practice on small things with curves so you can get better understanding of how much heat & stretching is needed before it burn a hole in it or stretched the weave out of whack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madhun (Post 19784)
no kidding,that center piece must have been a PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!with all the compound curves.Cen you give us newbies some tips please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Center piece was easier than the ring. I did the middle one piece, middle top section another piece. round circle cap is small piece.

Three diamond was three piece wrapped & cuts were made where all the diamonds connect in the center.

most critical part is making sure all the weaves line up or flows with the rest of the weave lines.

(I used to work for upholstery shop)

Madhun 06-14-2011 11:48 AM

thanks for pro answers