View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM

Sounds like a great way to kill a clutch...

In my opinion, when you apply gas and brake at the same time, the power from the engine is being applied to the wheels, hence the reason for feeling the car lurch slightly when doing so. In order for the energy to dissipate somewhere, the computer would have to let the clutch slip until you let go of the brake.

A similar thing happens even on a full manual transmission layout with clutch pedal and gear box shifter. Your bringing the RPMs to 5k, then letting go of the clutch pedal, the clutch plate will be slipping like mad until enough friction is made that the car starts to move forward.

The end result is usually the smell of burnt clutch in the air afterwards - whether manual or SST. I only did a 5k rpm launch in my EVO 8 twice - I never experienced problems with my transmission in the 30k+ miles I had it. Other people complained their clutches were failing within 10k+ miles. It was likely they were dumping their clutches for 5k rpm launches. Friends were always bugging me to launch hard and I was always telling them NO. If they want to cough up $1200-$1500 to replace the clutch early then they always had the option of depositing it at my feet before doing so. They never took me up on the offer.

If it were me, I likely will never do the equivalent of a clutch dump in my RA. I need this thing to last a long time and clutch dumps just are not one of those things to promote longevity.