ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 12-02-2013, 06:59 AM

Default changing of SST filter

Hi there,

Need some advice and help...

Recently brought my RA to local agent and did the SST oil change. Although i requested for the SST filter to be changed as well, they didnt and now i am feeling uncomfortable that they didnt change the SST filter.

If i want to bring back to the agent and just change the SST filter can i ? Or they have to do the SST oil change again and then change the filter?

Thanks....
Old 12-02-2013, 08:02 AM

Yes, you can just change the filter, but you may have to top up a tiny bit with the fluid lost when you swap it out.

I believe it took Mitsu until the 2012 model year before the SST filter was listed as a service item as well as the fluid. That made no sense to me as the factory filter is paper, and can not be cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostcsg View Post
Hi there,

Need some advice and help...

Recently brought my RA to local agent and did the SST oil change. Although i requested for the SST filter to be changed as well, they didnt and now i am feeling uncomfortable that they didnt change the SST filter.

If i want to bring back to the agent and just change the SST filter can i ? Or they have to do the SST oil change again and then change the filter?

Thanks....
Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Here is the 411 on this. The dealerships were initially told not to change filter unless specifically asked to do so by customer. Whether this has changed I don't know. But you have to make sure they write it down on the work order so if they don't do it you tell them No it was on the work order then they will have to bring it in and eat some of the time for Labour.

Do not let them charge you for the extra time of pulling off the engine under panels etc.. or whatever they decide to do if they do it twice and the time of pulling it in and out of the shop.

You can get the filter online either through SSP or through vendors on EBAY etc.. (This filter is way too expensive to buy from the dealer.)Since the filter goes on from the bottom vertically like an oil filter. You could buy 1 liter of Diaqeen yourself and pre fill the filter and plastic housing and install it. Just prep it first and put it in a coffee cup so it doesn't tip over and spill out the fluid.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:34 AM

Default SST Filter

Hi guys,

yes, in fact i requested for the filter to be changed and it was in the work order. Unfortunately when i collected my car, they said the filter dont have to change!

I was feeling uneasy over the next few days as i am concerned, and doesnt seems right that the SST oil is changed but not the filter.

Alright, i will bring the car back to the dealer and insist that they change the filter..and to top up some of the fluid lost...

Great advice..thanks guys....
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 AM

I don't know this for fact so don't quote me on this, but some dealerships may have been told that this is a lifetime filter which it is not. I would like to believe there is a new service bulletin in regards to this. I have not looked into this as I now service my own transmission. Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

You may want to purchase your filter online either through SSP or through vendors on EBAY etc.. (This filter is way too expensive to buy from the dealer.) Comparison I bought filter including new plastic housing online for $69.00 and my dealership wanted $265.00 for same filter.
Just keep in mind you may want to do this sooner than later but they still may charge you at least 1.5 hr of labour or more for just the filter change and even more if you ask them to top up the fluid as they would then have to remove the intake snorkel, battery and battery tray etc.. to get to the fill plug underneath it.

Make sure you bring in your copy of the work order and pretend to be outraged that work specifically written on the work order was not done. You wanted for said work to be done , you did not ask for their opinion on whether work had to be done. Don't let them charge you the extra labour to top up fluid as had they done this when fluid change was done. Everything would of already been taken apart both top and bottom.

Ask them what is supposed to be the time frame or mileage that this filter should be changed at. Ask them if there are any service bulletins on this. Tell them you don't want your Uber dollar tranny failing because of the incompetence and lack of knowledge on their own product. Better yet have the service manager put in writing that they will replace the transmission including all parts and labour at their cost due to their position that filter does not need to be replaced.

Last edited by Jackal; 12-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:52 AM

Default SST Filter

Thank you guys for all the advice.

I am now working with the dealer to get the SST filter changed....

Old 12-07-2013, 12:07 PM

hope you didnt pay for the filter to be changed, and the filter, because if you did i would've been like IDGAF if its not suppose to be changed, i paid for it and want it changed...