ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Judging by the estimated shipping time, he won't get it until early to mid November.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM

It's still saying that it's on it's way..
I promise I'll give you guys a full report once it arrives.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 PM

It's being sent via China Post Airmail....
What could POSSIBLY go wrong??...???
Old 10-27-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo4papa View Post
Judging by the estimated shipping time, he won't get it until early to mid November.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVENGER View Post
It's being sent via China Post Airmail....
What could POSSIBLY go wrong??...???
HA! i wont be surprised if you dont see it until March 2015!

If the package gets stuck in customs who knows how long it will take!

I had a package take close to 5 months before i saw the tracking status change.

zeRep
Old 10-27-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeRep85 View Post
HA! i wont be surprised if you dont see it until March 2015!

If the package gets stuck in customs who knows how long it will take!

I had a package take close to 5 months before i saw the tracking status change.

zeRep
It's weird, somethings ship super fast. My wife ordered 4 phone cases from aliexpress and they came from China also... She got them in 4 friggin days.. I couldn't believe it... So I looked at the tracking number and sure AS shit they came from China alright....

With my luck, the plane that my package is on will mysteriously disappear over the ocean.. LOL
Old 10-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVENGER View Post
My wife ordered 4 phone cases from aliexpress and they came from China also... She got them in 4 friggin days.. I couldn't believe it...
AH WHA! That is crazy.

They must have borrowed the [Insert Secret Government Aircraft Here] to make that shipment!

zeRep
Old 10-28-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeRep85 View Post
AH WHA! That is crazy.

They must have borrowed the [Insert Secret Government Aircraft Here] to make that shipment!

zeRep
aaahaaHAAAAAAAA!!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:42 PM

Hello everyone. I’m Mike, one half of Tactrix. I wanted to comment on this thread and make myself available for questions if anyone has any. Sorry for the lengthy first post but here goes....

“Other thing it's from China, so might be a Tactrix knock off.”

We have one in hand and it’s absolutely a Chinese clone complete with a random assortment of hand soldered parts to reduce cost where the counterfeiters guess it won’t matter, and with chip numbers hand ground off with a dremel tool so that other thieves can’t copy their copy.

“should I take one for the team and order one of these??”

Which team would that be? Would that be the Mitsubishi community? We like to think that our company is as much part of that team as each of us that make up this small company. We’ve offered a unique and affordable product for years which many people have used to tune their cars in an open non-proprietary way. Colby started working on this product when the only existing company making a Subaru tuning tool at the time wouldn’t sell to him because he wasn’t an approved tuner. Do you want to be on the team that can only access this type of technology through authorized tuners? Do you want to be part of a team that can’t share this type of tool amongst friends because the only tool available is one where each unit is locked to a VIN? If saving a few bucks by purchasing from those stealing from a small local company is helping your ‘team’ then, for the sake of all those here who benefit from the innovations of small scale American producers, I hope we can find some voices in this community who see it differently. I know I personally have a number of parts on my car, my motorcycle, and even non-automotive hobby components/tools that were made possible by small companies in this country taking a risk to bring something to their respective community. We’ve never tried to squeeze every last dollar out of our customers. We could easily link our product to one VIN but we don’t. If you want to buy an OpenPort 2.0 to share amongst a group of friends, you can totally do that without any issue. We want to support the home hobbyist and we hope that they’ll feel like they’re getting a fair deal by supporting our company in this effort.

“Wish I would have seen this before I ordered my Tactrix cable and paid $170.”

We thank you for your purchase. If you and many other of our customers hadn’t purchased our cable for $169 (price hasn’t increased a dollar since we first introduced it) there would be no EcuFlash. While we give away EcuFlash as one of many programs that work with our hardware, it’s the sale of that hardware that makes it possible for us to spend the time working on the reflashing software. If there was a cheap Chinese product to begin with, we would have never developed this ourselves.

“I have the feeling something went down with Tactrixs' supplier/builder in China and they decided to cut out the middle man and sell directly. “

While that definitely does happen in many cases with some companies, that's actually not what happened here. Our board builder is a small company in Washington state. Our company use to be located nearby, but we relocated to California because the owner’s wife was working on a project for the VA in SF. We still use that same board builder in Washington because we have a good relationship with them, and like us, they’re a pretty small company. Not as small as us, but still small enough The final assembly, programming, testing, and shipping is all done in our California office. The circuit board in this clone is a copy, but not from the same template. If someone really cares about the details of how to tell, let me know when you have a unit in front of you and I can point out the differences. Copying a circuit board is pretty easy though and there isn’t anything you can really do about protecting it since it’s just a bunch of physical connections. Even if you have to grind through a few layers, those connections can mapped out pretty easily. The issue here is that in addition to the circuit board, they’re using stolen firmware, software, and our company name.

“My .02 is that if this is the case (I'm not saying it is), they got what they paid for. Companies that go outside the country for cheap labor and manufacturing to increase their bottom line deserve to have their sh|t stolen.”

I don’t know if I would go so far as to say deserve, but if you give someone else that much access, you should expect that it could happen.

“My wife ordered 4 phone cases from aliexpress and they came from China also...”

That’s a good item to order from China if you want a few designs and you don’t particularly care about the build quality. It’s important to understand what we’re talking about here isn’t just a close copy of a physical item based on a company being inspired by our design. This isn’t a knockoff iPhone cable that is functionally equivalent to the Apple product, and a good choice to replace your lost cable that came with your iPhone. This is stealing a circuit design, using our company name, stealing firmware, and providing copies of our software for use with this counterfeit hardware. The reason they’re able to sell this item so cheaply is that they’re not doing any of the work to create the hardware, firmware, or software. They’re still relying on your continued use of our software to reflash your Mitsubishi. Before you install our software, you are agreeing to our licensing terms, which we intentionally keep as brief as possible so as to be easily readable. These terms include:

“2. When used with a hardware interface, the software is to be used solely with OpenPort vehicle interfaces from Tactrix Inc. or other officially licensed interfaces. These sales fund the project development and keep the cost of such a tool reasonable.”

If saving $100 makes the difference between being able to complete your multi-thousand dollar project car, and ECU repair/replacement is something you feel comfortable dealing with, then you should probably roll the dice and go with the stolen goods. If you’re confident that the support you’ll receive from Guangdong is all you’ll ever need, then this may be the deal you’ve waited for. I can say for certain that not all users will be happy with the results as we’ve inspected this hardware and identified several issues with it.

To those who consider the value proposition and still decide to spend their hard earned dollars with us, we appreciate your support as we continue to develop new EcuFlash features and add compatibility for more vehicle models. As long as we can fund our company through the sale of the hardware we’ve designed, our EcuFlash software will remain free as will our support.

Thanks for reading,
-Mike
Old 10-31-2014, 04:32 PM

Dear MikeyPSF,

So, what am I supposed to do with this information? Feel bad that as a consumer I chose a lower price? Quite frankly, alot of us consumers do that very thing these days. I'm not made of money anymore. I'm 40 years old and with the way the economy hit the industry I was in for 22 years, I find myself completely starting over. I now shop around for items I choose to purchase.
To answer your question about "taking one for the team",, I meant that figuratively,, obviously..
I'm very sorry that you take this so personally and I understand that you look at something like this as affecting your bottom line, but as a business man (I presume), you should be looking at this as an opportunity to compete. There is reason many companies outsource the manufacture of their products..... To keep prices as low as possible. This country has not made it easy for any company to manufacture or do business, the costs of labor, liability insurance,, TAXES,,,,, the list goes on and on and on. You might want to consider outsourcing a little bit yourselves.. It doesn't make you a sellout..
If the unit fails to do what I purchased it to do,,, that is my problem.

I found that unit online,, and I shared what I found.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:20 PM

Well, I'm really hoping I can phrase this in a way that doesn't start an internet pissing match, because that doesn't get anyone anywhere, but your statements seem at odds with each other. Earlier when someone else said:

"Companies that go outside the country for cheap labor and manufacturing to increase their bottom line deserve to have their sh|t stolen."

you said:

"Yes, I agree with this.."

but now you're saying:

"You might want to consider outsourcing a little bit yourselves.."

So we should outsource to be more competitive but we deserve what we get if we outsource? How do you reconcile those two statements?

I'm not telling you what to do with the information I gave, but people seem to be debating how this Chinese unit came to be and that it was probably our fault for working with a bad manufacturer. I'm here to set the story straight and to answer questions if someone has any.

"This country has not made it easy for any company to manufacture or do business, the costs of labor, liability insurance,, TAXES,,,,,"

Because the government made TAXES high it's okay to steal? What tax rate would you need to see to only buy non-stolen products?

I understand what you mean by trying to save money. I try to save money wherever I can as well. I own a 2002 WRX, a 1998 Oldsmobile van, and a 1996 Suzuki motorcycle, all of which combined wouldn't equal the value of your car. (I know, you're thinking the Oldsmobile Silhouette is the Cadillac of minvans, but trust me, this isn't the van with the resale value you're thinking....) I'm not the CEO of anything. I'm 41 and I've started my career over at least three times. My dollars mean a lot to me. What I want to make clear is that this isn't just a copy inspired by the physical observation of some part. This isn't a Chinese knockoff of Cobb swaybar that is pretty similar to that original swaybar. This is a Chinese clone falsely using our name and relying on your continued use of our firmware and our software which represents thousands of hours of our work.

So again, I'm not trying to tell you what to do with this information. Obviously what you do with your dollars is make the choice you think are right for you, your family, and those companies you want to support. I'm letting you know the full story and it's up to you what you'll do with the information. You can disagree with me that using stolen information/software/firmware is wrong but you can't fault me for wanting to set the record straight when it's being speculated that we've been dealing with dishonest outsourced labor and therefor gotten what we deserve.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read as brevity isn't my strongpoint.

-Mike