ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > Motorsports > Mitsubishi / Ralliart Racing

Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM

Day two in the bag!

Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
One thing I can tell you is the Media is very thick on the ground at all Practice points. So much so they actually stand on the road with their video camera, even on the apexes, but it's a little hard to say 'apex off camera man', it wont be good if he isnt there the next run.

As you can imagine being up the top of this huge mountain before sunrise gives an awesome view of the sun arriving for the day! The air is fresh and chilly, the head spins come and go when you get out of the car for a walk.

Videos will be loaded later today, all of which were taken by Cat's mom, Michelle, who has been terrific to have around. Check out the cute navigator in the bottom pic!

The shot third from the bottom is Rhys Millen's animal! This car will be taking the record! My fav shot is the first one (what, not the one with my car in it??) with the sunrise over the eastern US seaboard, and the trucks and guys standing on the edge of the road. 'Majestic' comes to mind.

Till next time
Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Nobody ever paid me in fun...

& That sho' look like fun.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:06 PM

2nd Practice is done!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Today we were at the very top of the hills, practicing on the last 3- 3.5 miles. Mostly very loose gravel, but very very fast! This is where we have to compromise with our lines, and hope there will be a good dusting on the race line on race day. The Kumhos are holding up, even on the gravel sections, at times, with the right dusting some of the gravel road has as much grip as tarmac. We shall see.

The yellow Mini is an all girl team that are fun to be around. They're giving it a shot, and a good one as well. Rhys stopped half way through the practice stage with a problem, on the previous run his guys were trying to source a 'glitch' via data log, but I guess they didnt find it.

We also had a casualty today, the white ex-prodrive Sti (GC8) rolled on one of the fast down hill sections into a hairpin. Car looks worse than it is, but will be an easy fix! We've offered to go around and assist with hammers, which I think we will have to do. He is in our class, but we need the competition, if for nothing else, to justify us being here.

The speeds on the gravel were very fast! I never look at my speedo, EVER! But Merlin (Dave Hinde our Ecu guy) asked what speed we were pulling, now I hate speed so I never look at what the speedo is saying, but this time I decided to sneak a peak at speed, and it confirmed why I never want to look. Going around a left hander, sliding, setting the car up for the exit, I run down the next hill full throttle upshifting, the car is squirrily and moving around a fair bit on the Kumho V710s, I take a peak as I reach the very point I need to brake it the speedo is past 120mph (200kph+) I then have to slow the car down for a fast but treacherous right hander which I swing the car through with a small flick.

Then on the way back I found we were all going quite rapid back to the start to do another (of 4 total) timed run, 3 of us travelling together hitting 100mph switching between the tarmac and gravel.

Oh, almost forgot, I was standing there after the drivers meeting, which took place at 5am, keeping Cath warm, and chatting to the BMW boys, when this hooded figure walks up and walks into me, I knew someone was playing games and pulled the hood off to reveal my old buddy Andrew Comrie-Picard (ACP to the world), it was a great surprise seeing him again, and tonite we shall catch up on lots of missed drinks. Tomorrow's Blog entry will n doubt be all about how I should stop drinking and how Im having trouble focusing because I'll be hung over and that I promise to never drink again.

Andrew runs and evo 8 as well, but highly modded with carbon, well, everything. He's a great competitor too, although he's not in our class. It's going to be fun having him around.

I love Pikes Peak, I can see now why it is such a drug for a lot of people!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:08 PM

One of my favorite things about the race cars at Pikes Peak is how they look like they were drawn by 8 year olds.

And then there are the race trucks :-P

It really trips your senses to see something that huge acellerate that fiast, sideways and uphill!

Mike W
Old 06-25-2010, 05:45 PM

Day 3 of Practice and Qualifying!

Quote:

Hey Mike;
Here's the result from today! We were fastest in class in Qualifying and set a new AWD Time Attack Qualifying record!!! Which means we beat ACP in his full house AMS NOS energy drink Evo. ACP is a good friend of mine, and it makes it sweeter.

Here are some nice pics of the car at speed. Thanks Mike, we are very happy, we just have to get through the big day on Sunday.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:47 PM

I asked him about his suspension:

Quote:
My suspension is Ohlins coilovers with my spec springs by Swift. We spent two days at a test center dialing the suspension in Australia, and then ran that at the Mt Buller Hillclimb event in Australia, which is the setting we are using now, so you could say we spent 4 days and many $1000s dialing the suspension and geometry in, and all focused on Pikes.

Even sweeter of course is we are tormenting the AMS guys! All for RRE, of course, as a line of duty... ha ha.

Jeff

I think the ACP (AMS/NOS) EVO might be running on a stock motor for now? Tomorrow (Saturday) is a day off so they might have a chance to get some power back for race day on Sunday.

Mike W
Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Grippy Tire Send a message via Yahoo to Grippy Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW-RRE View Post

These are nice pics.. One is driving the other is guiding.. Thanks for keeping us updated Mike!

(323) 861-5376
EMAIL: [email protected]
AIM: GrippyTire
MESSENGER: GrippyTire

Ordering Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM-4PM
Sat-Sun: Closed

Our hours are limited but we always answer messages, emails, pm's throughout the whole entire day and night. So please don't hesitate to contact us. Grippy sells tires and wheels we do not offer any services as of yet.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM

I like this pic:

Quote:
Initial D “Gutter Technique!”

Mike W