ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 11-28-2010, 01:12 AM

Default HOW TO: Radio Relocation

So as you may or may not know, I have a Carputer setup. I am finally ordering a new double din Touchscreen monitor so I've run into a problem. I need to find somewhere to put my headunit.

Here is a picture of what it used to look like. I had a flip-out touchscreen on top and my headunit below that.

I was initially going to just leave the head unit back behind the monitor but that was kinda ghetto so I decided to relocate it below the AC unit.

Basically, I need to make this radio ...

... fit here

Initially, I wasn't sure it would work but I made it work. Here is the final outcome.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:12 AM

To begin, I had to get to the radio area.

STEP 1: Remove the panel covering the screw that holds the fake carbon fiber panel in place. You need to open the glove compartment to get to it. It is easier to remove the whole glove compartment but I was able to get the screw out without removing it.

STEP 2: After removing the screw, you can pull off that panel. I've removed it before so it is easy for me, you may need to apply some force; there are 2 clips holding it in place. After it is removed, you now have access to the screw holding the fake carbon fiber panel in place. Remove the screw and then pull from the bottom near the screw and work your way toward the hazard light button. There are quite a few clips holding it on so don't be afraid to yank on it a bit.

STEP 3: Once the fake carbon fiber panel is removed, you now have access to the radio dash panel. This is held on completely by clips. Again, pull from the bottom, near the hazard light button, towards yourself. The bottom part will unclip. Next, work your way up to unclip the rest of the clips.

Last edited by wutangmo15; 11-28-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:13 AM

STEP 4: Unclip the connector to the Hazard light area.

Now, if you have the stock radio, you'll have a few clips to remove. I haven't had the stock radio for awhile so I don't have a picture for that. I believe there are 2 connectors for the stock radio and 3 for the MMCS. I have a lot of other cables back there for the carputer.

STEP 5: On the very bottom part of the previous picture, there are 2 screws. Those are holding the top of the AC panel so remove them.

STEP 6: Now that we've released the top part of the AC panel, we need to get to the bottom part. It is a pain and involves removing the whole center portion between the seats.

Start by removing the AWC button control panel. I used a swiss army knife but anything really thin will work. A flathead might be too wide and leave a mark. Once removed, unclip the AWC connetor.

Step 7: Now that that is removed, you need to remove the cup-holder panel but first open the arm rest. The cup-holder panel is held on by clips so grab the hole where the panel you just removed is and pull up. This takes some force so be careful.

Last edited by wutangmo15; 11-28-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:14 AM

STEP 8: Unscrew the shift knob and unclip the leather thing attached to the shifter (I'm having a brain fart and can't remember what it is called).

STEP 9: There are two screws revealed after removing the cupholders. These two screws hold on the TC-SST panel on so remove them. In this picture, the panel is already remove, but the white parts are where the screws would be.

STEP 10: Before you start yanking, putting the shifter in neutral and opening the leather part helps make removing the panel easier. Pull up on the panel near where you removed the screws. Don't apply too much force but just enough to get it off.

STEP 11: Once the back section of the TC-SST panel is off the clips, look underneath and you'll see 2 connectors you need to unclip.

STEP 12: Once you remove those 2 connectors, remove the rest of the panel but don't pull on it. You still need to remove the cig adapter connector. Once removed, follow the wire and you'll see there is another portion connected to the panel. Remove the clip and the panel can now be removed.

Last edited by wutangmo15; 11-28-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:14 AM

STEP 13: Now we need to remove the the center section. It is connected to the armrest so remove the screws in the armrest. Use a 10mm socket.

STEP 14: There is one back screw holding down the middle portion of the center section. This screw is in between the 2 screws holding the TC-SST panel on.

STEP 15: There are two screws right by where the ash tray and cig lighter used to be. I don't have a very good picture of that but it is on the very bottom of this picture.

Last edited by wutangmo15; 11-28-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:15 AM

STEP 16: Now that there is nothing holding down the center section, it will lift up. You don't need to completely move it, but just lift it and move it slightly towards the back of the car. You just need to move it enough to allow you to access the two screws on the side, one on each side. These hold on the side panels that need to be removed next. Remove those screws.

STEP 17: We need to remove the other screw on the side panels, these are right by where you feet are at. The picture is of the driver side but it is around the same location on the passenger side.

STEP 18: Now these panels are a little difficult to get off. There are 3 clips on each of them but they are located near where the three panels connect (see pictures in step 16) so you'll need to kind of massage them out.

STEP 19: Once those panels are out, the AC panel isn't being held down anymore (since we removed the top two screws). You will need a bit of force to remove it. Start from the bottom and work your way up. Don't yank too hard because there is one connector still attached to the AC controls. Once you remove the connector, the panel can now be removed.

Last edited by wutangmo15; 11-28-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:15 AM

STEP 20: If you look at the panel, you can see that the left side is relatively straight compared to the right side. The right side slopes inwards as you move down. Basically, I cut away at it so it would be straight so the radio would fit through. I used a Dremel and took my time by cutting, then fitting the radio in to see where it was still rubbing. Then I would cut again and repeat the process until it fit. I don't have pictures of the actual process but it will probably be slightly different depending on the faceplate on your headunit.

STEP 21: Once you finish that, you need to let the cables reach down there. There are two clips holding the antenna cable and stereo cable to the top. Remove them and that should give you the length to move them below.

STEP 22: Insert the radio in the AC panel and put the panel back in. TEST the radio before you start putting stuff back together. I didn't secure it in any way but it fits tightly once you put it back. The bottom of the cubbie you cut will support from the bottom and there is a bar running across that supports it from the top. I've been driving around and it hasn't moved at all.

Last edited by wutangmo15; 11-28-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:16 AM

Reserved for future updates.

Last edited by wutangmo15; 11-28-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:16 AM

Reserved for future updates.

Last edited by wutangmo15; 11-28-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:49 PM

Nice write up

Mods:Evo X turbo, RallInspired Tune, Magnaflow Catback, GM 3-port, Xtremeboost O2 Dump, UR Test Pipe, UR SRI, Depo UICP-LICP, AMS FMIC, Synapse Diverter Valve, SSP Inline Filter, SSP Tranny Cooler, SSP Clutch Packs, Tein S-specs, Apexi L.E. Turbo Timer, Seibon CF CW-style hood, CF Duluck Trunk, Gold Evo X Wheels w/ all four corners rolled, AEM Boost Gauge, AEM Wideband with A Pillar Gauge Pods, Evo X fender vents.

Future Mods:E-85 Tune, RallInspired Fuel Pump and CF Roof Wrap.