ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 AM

I found that I'm less prone to get the slow down light if I keep the car in manual mode. She doesn't seem to like being launched in auto.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM

completely stock, I hit around 14.15sec 1/4 mile, using the tap method. Anything else feels really bad for the car. Even without the brake and tap, WOT from a standstill pretty much launches the car from 3-4k anyway.
I've never gotten a slow down light or limp mode from accelerating or launching. I guess that's because I'm stock?

2010 rg sportback
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM

I tried this the other night with my RA. Left ASC on and in tarmac mode. Did the tap method - 1st time i got the 'slow down' light. 2nd time after releasing the brake the car revved to 5k before it went BAM and the power hit really hard launching me forward quite quick. Was quite fun will have to try her out at the strip and see how she goes.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST50N View Post
I tried this the other night with my RA. Left ASC on and in tarmac mode. Did the tap method - 1st time i got the 'slow down' light. 2nd time after releasing the brake the car revved to 5k before it went BAM and the power hit really hard launching me forward quite quick. Was quite fun will have to try her out at the strip and see how she goes.
Turn off ASC. It cuts engine power and confuses things when on while launching/spirited driving.

http://www.clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=3457

I've launched the car a bunch of times... and done autox, drag, etc, and have not once gotten the slow down light. Not sure if other people are doing things wrong, or I am!

I think the key is to tap QUICKLY. Meaning, don't hold the gas down at all, for more than a few quick stabs before releasing the brake and going WOT. The idea is to do it quick so the clutch doesn't engage until you're up there already. Just because the brake is on, doesn't mean it won't engage the clutch. Too slow of a tap (held down too long) and it will start to drag the clutch, in my experience, and therefore could cause the clutch to overheat and turn on the "slow down" notice.

have fun!

2010 rg sportback

Last edited by skills; 01-02-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Here is another launch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m29H...UQJn_ZqLXGYB3w

Mike W
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Trick is to tap the throttle very fast. kinda like tap dancing. Maybe tap dancing video may help.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM

I tried the tap tap method a couple of times last week. First time I got it to work great, car launched pretty hard - seemed to hit 5k RPM before it lept off the line. Tried to do it twice more after this and I got 'slow down' and car wouldn't drive!? To get it to even drive I had to put it into neutral and back to D. Let it cool down for a bit and tried again. Same thing, got slow down and car wouldn't move forward. Disengaging D and Re engaging got it driving again, but I'm a bit concerned that this isn't healthy. Probably wont be trying this again for a while!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST50N View Post
I tried the tap tap method a couple of times last week. First time I got it to work great, car launched pretty hard - seemed to hit 5k RPM before it lept off the line. Tried to do it twice more after this and I got 'slow down' and car wouldn't drive!? To get it to even drive I had to put it into neutral and back to D. Let it cool down for a bit and tried again. Same thing, got slow down and car wouldn't move forward. Disengaging D and Re engaging got it driving again, but I'm a bit concerned that this isn't healthy. Probably wont be trying this again for a while!
Did you try this order?

Tap tap tap

Release brake
Mash gas

Make sure when you mash the pedal the brake is no longer engaged. The car won't move until a half second later anyway, it has to spool. Check the video I posted. I launched today at 5.5k no problems. Tap tap tap up to 3-4k, release brake and mash gas at the same time(brake released slightly before you mash gas), the rev jumps up to 5ish without the brake. It all happens within a half second or so. If done right you won't get the slow down light.

And yes you are correct it isn't healthy. But it sure is quick.

2010 rg sportback

Last edited by skills; 01-06-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 PM

Also I've found you really need to commit to it. Letting off the gas or not fully depressing it and half assing it slightly disengages the clutch and makes it drag. Not a good thing with all that power. I remember before I had the technique down I was worried about it because it felt like it was slipping. Now that I commit to the launches it just grabs and goes!

2010 rg sportback
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

May want to invest in my sst coolers when you are going to heat them up.