ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM

your old black stig profile pic and the new one on evom still throws me off every now and then lol

Great to hear the update NFS. Let's not forget other things that add-up to the current "State of the Ralliart", and lets not degrade this thread to an "SST progression" thread

Here's my contribution to this "knowledge-base" themed thread:

1. The OEM battery is a big obstacle. There are no really well-flowing intakes that keep the stock battery location/size. The combination of a long airflow route, direction, bottlenecks, and heatsoak make every RA specific intake out there nearly useless vs price. Yes, I'm aware of the AEM RA intake, but it has yet to be released, so this current "state" still stands.

Not only does the battery cause intake performance issues, it causes fitment issues when looking for Evo X compatibility (intake, some LICPs, turbo->intake). Most obvious example is when owners opt for an Evo X turbo swap. Fixing the problem with the battery looks like it will open a lot of doors.

2. The whole RA intercooler system is garbage. The UICP is an expanding hose, the FMIC gets heatsoaked too easily, and the LICP has stupidly designed dimples near the inlet.

The UICP flexing hose flexes under high boost pressure, causing a loss in throttle response as air expands while passing through

The FMIC is a joke of an intercooler. Bryan@GST has great logs here: http://norcalmotorsports.org/users/b...mps_040310.gif

The RA OEM LICP is a HUGE restriction. After upgrading to an ETS LICP, I will confidently say that the LICP makes a bigger difference than upgrading the UICP hose. Upgrading the LICP to a wider hard-pipe that doesn't have the OEM "dents" makes spool-up much more aggressive.

Regardless, for how cheaply a used Evo X intercooler set can be bought, and how relatively easy it is to DIY install, a full intercooler system upgrade should be something EVERY Ralliart owner does. Upgrade the whole system, including LICP

3. Tires - just upgrade them. This has been beaten to death I don't feel like typing anything about it. CL your OEM's and upgrade

That's all I can think to add for now. Here's one others can add to:

4. The OEM brake system is pretty pitiful. NFS offers a great and affordable option for a caliper/rotor/line upgrade. But with the different options offered from this BBK, what's the breakdown of what is necessary depending on needs? What kind of use/owner justifies a front-only upgrade? Caliper size? Rotor type (oem evo x or aftermarket)? SS lines? etc? Feel free to add to this bullet
Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 PM

The Basic Upgrade is basically just a simple C5/C6 base model caliper fitted to the front rotors. For most people, this will be all that you will ever need. It has curb appeal. It will allow the average weekend warrior full reign of the track without a problem, ever. I anticipate that, with the right pad combination, this upgrade should be suited to the needs of most Ralliart owners. There is no fade, what so ever, with the big 14" rotors. They are also GREAT for spirited road driving. It is a pretty nice little package. The rears will never need upgrading with that setup. I would recommend, however, buying a matching set of upgraded rotors and pads to complete the upgrade. After that, you can call is a day. Plus, you will fool a number of people into thinking that you car is in fact a real honest to god Evo (I have to admit, that is kind of fun some of the time).

The 6/4 piston setup is insane. They were originally designed to stop a 200+ MPH car. This is something that I would put on a dedicated track car. You will be able to brake REALLY late with this setup. If you have the power to match, which is slowly being worked out, this will match performance numbers on anything out there. There is even a full ceramic option for that kit. That bumps the price up significantly, though. Currently, in my mind, that is for someone REALLY serious about racing. The calipers themselves have to be seen to be believed. They are astonishingly big.

Let me put it to you this way: If you want a bonkers Ralliart, this will have to be on your list. Other companies dangle 8-piston upgrades and nonsense like that around. Every component in this kit is made to work perfectly with every other component in the kit. It can be tailored to the desires of any potential customer.

That being said, I think that the main market for this kit is going to be elsewhere.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Tires are a very important point. I have seen people spend some serious money on tires. I am very happy with my Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance tires. No slip, just grip. Plus, they do tend to last awhile. That is very good news, considering how expensive tires are. That would definitely be my recommendation.

When new owners do decide to upgrade the cooling system, do everything. Get both pipes, a good sized intercooler, and probably an intake to balance things out. With a good tune, you should be in a great place to start out with.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

My next mod will be new wheels with upgraded tires, these OEM Yoko's suck in anything but flat dry road. Plus, the 215mm tires are just a little too small for a turbocharged AWD platform IMO.

Also, most owners might not do anything but spring upgrades, but the difference in handling from just a basic set of springs like Eibach's or Swift's as opposed to the stock springs is definitely noticeable. If you are concerned with even the slightest bit of an increase in handling, at least go with a set of Swift's, due to the height the car still sits at which is more than enough for daily driving.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA View Post
Tires are a very important point. I have seen people spend some serious money on tires. I am very happy with my Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance tires. No slip, just grip. Plus, they do tend to last awhile. That is very good news, considering how expensive tires are. That would definitely be my recommendation.

When new owners do decide to upgrade the cooling system, do everything. Get both pipes, a good sized intercooler, and probably an intake to balance things out. With a good tune, you should be in a great place to start out with.
^+1 Cooling to me should be the first on the list. I cant stress enough how much hotter turbo engine run vs N/A Engine.

I used to have Nankang (80% threads) in the front Sumitomo (20% threads) in the rear. Went to autox at Marina/air field during the rain. Couldnt turn to save my life, felt like FWD.
On my way back thru the mountains was scary... NOT ONE OF THOSE FUN SCARY. It would loose traction without warning. Understeer & more understeer.
Now with Nankang all the way around it is easier to manage.

I had gotten a set of hand me down Direzza Star spec awhile back from Autox Champ (Thanks Issac), it was bald. 10-20% thread left.
I drove it for about 3k miles... it was surprisingly grippier tires even though they were bald. I drove it in the rain & also in loose gravel.
I can feel when its getting ready to loose traction. No surprises.
Nitto are great too. If you can afford it I say go for the best tires.
Nitto or Direzza are great for grip. Not longevity.

Last edited by MTZL; 06-29-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Tires make HUGE difference.

What more people use than not in Solo in my area are..

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Kumho Ecsta XS

Both are close in price and performance. It's a personal thing with people since they are so close.

These tires will wear faster than your normal performance summer tires when driven harder.

A great tire for daily driving is the Continental ExtremeContact DW (or DWS for all season version). Cheap tire, lasts a long time, quiet and gets the highest reviews on just about any site.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 06-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAbOS View Post
A great tire for daily driving is the Continental ExtremeContact DW (or DWS for all season version). Cheap tire, lasts a long time, quiet and gets the highest reviews on just about any site.
That's what I plan on going with. Where I live, having all season tires are a must for daily driving.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 PM

NFS Lancer RA The 14" rotors you speak of are they Evo X front rotors? I think I will be doing your whole brake upgrade next year, but I would like to start buying the parts over the course of the winter. Just wanted to confirm because rotors are the first item on my to buy list.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
NFS Lancer RA The 14" rotors you speak of are they Evo X front rotors? I think I will be doing your whole brake upgrade next year, but I would like to start buying the parts over the course of the winter. Just wanted to confirm because rotors are the first item on my to buy list.
The rotors that correspond with the C5/C6 base calipers are 14" rotors from the Evo X. HOWEVER, I will only sell the 6/4 piston setup as a kit.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA View Post
The rotors that correspond with the C5/C6 base calipers are 14" rotors from the Evo X. HOWEVER, I will only sell the 6/4 piston setup as a kit.
How much for this brake kit and do you have any pics?