ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 07-24-2015, 04:44 AM

Default Upper Intercooler Pipe interference

Hey guys,

I installed a DC Sports UICP a couple of weeks ago and when I put it in, the radiator shroud doesn't sit flush anymore. Has anyone else had this problem? There's nothing I can do about it due to the fact that it's right where the bracket bolts to the frame...so I can't move it anywhere. Just curious if anyone else had experienced this, and if so is the Evo's hump in the shroud a little bigger? It's just really getting to me, and I'm pretty sure it's causing a strange wooshing noise when I get up to 45-55mph and above.

-Ben
Old 07-24-2015, 06:57 AM

Maybe you installed it backwards?

zeRep
Old 07-24-2015, 08:27 AM

Hahaha. Brutal.

You literally can't do that with the pipe that is the problem. It only mounts one way. Haha!
Old 07-24-2015, 08:49 AM

Do you have a Ralliart or Evo size intercooler? Is the UICP for Ralliart or Evo? If you mix the two, i could see that problem since the inlets on the innercooler are at different heights. The radiator covers are the same.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 AM

I have a ralliart intercooler. This particular piping kit has an extra metal coupler and reducer for the ralliart intercooler so that if you so choose, which I may do, you can upgrade to the evo intercooler and it works for both.

http://www.dcsports.com/ColdAir/MIP6011_Mitsubishi.html

I'll try to take some pictures later, and maybe someone will see something that I'm not seeing? I'm just wondering if because the piping has a larger diameter than the stock pipe if that's the reason, and if the Evo's piping is bigger? If that's the case, I'll try to find an Evo cooling plate and just call it good. If not then maybe something is wrong.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1s7an View Post
Hahaha. Brutal.

You literally can't do that with the pipe that is the problem. It only mounts one way. Haha!
I know, I know...I had the ETS kit and like this one, you cant install it backwards.

One of the two bolts near the shroud was almost impossible to bolt down..i actually went with a shorter bolt so it can sit flush..

z
e
R
e
p
Old 07-25-2015, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeRep85 View Post
I know, I know...I had the ETS kit and like this one, you cant install it backwards.

One of the two bolts near the shroud was almost impossible to bolt down..i actually went with a shorter bolt so it can sit flush..

The bolts really weren't much of an issue. I spent a lot of time trying to get all the pipes lined up because they felt almost a bit too short. DC could have given an extra inch on both pipes. Anywho, I'm gonna get my lazy ass up here in a few minutes and take some pics.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:30 AM

So, first off....ignore the filth. She's getting an engine bay cleaning tomorrow. So, as you can see all the hosing fits up and is good. There's no leaks anywhere. But the cooling plate is lifted up like 3/4 of an inch. but that weird S bend bracket they have on there is bolted in place where it's supposed to be. It seems like the weird bend in the mounting bracket is what's lifting it up, but without the bend the bracket is too long to sit flush. So, is there anything that anyone can see that maybe I'm doing wrong just because I'm an idiot? Haha. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Tr1s7an; 07-25-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1s7an View Post

So, first off....ignore the filth. She's getting an engine bay cleaning tomorrow. So, as you can see all the hosing fits up and is good. There's no leaks anywhere. But the cooling plate is lifted up like 3/4 of an inch. but that weird S bend bracket they have on there is bolted in place where it's supposed to be. It seems like the weird bend in the mounting bracket is what's lifting it up, but without the bend the bracket is too long to sit flush. So, is there anything that anyone can see that maybe I'm doing wrong just because I'm an idiot? Haha. Any thoughts?
I have a similar problem but with an UR UICP. When I got the UR UICP I was running the stock intercooler and everything fit nicely. I eventually upgraded to an aftermarket intercooler, and kept the same UR UICP. The hoses fit nicely but now the UR UICP sits a little bit higher and I have the same shroud problem as you. To me it isn't that big of a deal, so I just removed the shroud and run without it.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 AM

The only reason I didn't do that, was because of the air funnel on the shroud that forces into the snorkel. It's all good?