ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 PM

Default Couple tuning questions, answers appreciated.

So 1: I emailed a local tuner asking him if he would re flash my ecu, he said he doesn't do that, but if I had a tuner he would do that for me. Now this confused me, isn't tuning and re flashing essentially the same thing? For example the gst map vs a custom tune.

2. If I take my cat off and replace it, you think I'd need a tune? I would assume so, but I would like to avoid one.

3. What's a reasonable price for a tune of this car so I don't get ripped off?
I had another one in mind but can't seam to think of it.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 AM

I think local tuner is saying that he isnt confident in tuning your RalliArt. Which is a good thing that you are not going to be practiced on. But that if you will be working with an e-tuner, he can load maps from that e-tuner for you locally.

Start with seeing if he can load a GST base map for you? He needs to have a Tactrix 2.0 cable and at least some minimum experience in tuning EVO Xs before you let him muck around with your ECU. Make sure he downloads and saves and gives you a copy of your stock map.

Mike W
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Regional Moderator

I buy/sell parts locally and roll fenders on the side for evo guys.. so ive met at least 200+ local evo guys in the last few years.. and, Not having any real tech expertise in this matter, all I can say is if you're not sure of what you're doing? Stand still or contact mike at RRE.. I've personally run into at least a dozen or so MR/RA guys, who've gone to local "tuner guys" for a tune, and immediately had issues... It seems most times they received essentially a generic "tune job" that might work fine on a GSR X, but not the MR/RA... apparently, Our engines are tuned differently enough from the GSR that you'll most likely damage your car or at least not run it optimally if you just run a generic tune..

ALL of those guys went to mike RRE in the end.. And got proper tunes.. IMO why pay twice? If you're not too far? It's prob worth the drive to Ca.. Mikes rep is very solid, and he won't drag you through the mud financially.. He's very much a DIY guy, but I'm not risking my engine.. I'd rather let someone who does it every day, handle the tuning.. And, I'll do as much wrenching as possible..
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM

My advice is the same as Mark. Go see Mike W @ RRE.

Excellent guy and always friendly.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Whats fair is what you negotiate. Reasonable price? it is... how much money you have and what you're willing to pay vs what you want/need done. How much time is involved (the knowledgeable poor guy that works hard to make your car more efficient). or you can do it yourself. there are documentations out there, read it buy some necessary parts/tools.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 AM

Thanks guys. I think im going to have to go talk to him today. I would go see mike if i didnt live in vermont :/ Its tough finding a proper tuner shop up here. Or one with any knowledge of RA/Evo's.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM

Do not do anything. Just read the treads. Most of your questions will be answered that way. Meet other RA owners see what kind of exhausts they use . You might like one more than others. If you get a tune now you will have to retune when you add other parts.

And the most important: Do not be concerned with cost of a tune, be concern of a cost of a BAD TUNE.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM

Pending on how quick to pick up on stuff and how brave you are, you could just buy a Tactrix OP 2.0 cable, a boost pill, and use EvoScan and ECU Flash to do your own street tune. If you don't know how to tune, I recommend the following reading:

http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=1454

Merlin's guide is pretty in depth and will give you the basics.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I don't dare touch it myself. So if I take it to the tuners and he can just get the gst map off the Internet net and install it?