ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 PM

Default Engine Knock Help

So I've had my 2010 Ralliart for about a month now. Purchased with about 31k on it, I'm now up to 32k. Havent done an oil or SST transmission change yet. I only have a HKS drop in filter that I installed about a week ago with no problems. (and yes i made sure the clips on the bottom were connected)
I live in Flagstaff AZ, the weather is about 25-30 F.
Also runnng on 91 octance which is the highest we have here.

At first the knocking was barely audible with my music on and just normal chattering the engine has. After I turned the music off, the knocking was very loud.

It doesnt knock when I'm Park or Neutral.

When in drive automatic/normal and I press the accelerator I hear a slow knocking like a piston then as i gradually increase speed the knocking increases in sound and gets faster when I brake the knocking is barely there.

If anyone could help point out the problem or how bad it is I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 PM

Also I havent checked the oil level yet because its dark out and I live in an Apartment, but first thing tommrow I'll check if I need an oil change if that matters.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Yes check oil but it could be that your running 91 octane and not getting proper combustion with the higher flow filter. The car is tuned to run 93 octane If I'm not mistaken
Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 PM

Get that 93
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM

In Flagtstaff there isn't 93 octane
I did a little research and wanted a little help deciding which route to go.
1) buy Octane booster , but I really don't want to buy octane booster eveeeerrytime I fill up my tank which is 2-3 times a month.

2) alcohol fuel injection? Haven't done much research but read it was an alternative to people without higher octane available.

3) buy Cobb AP, since it already has a 91 basemap. Plus I planned on getting E-Tuned by Mitch at AMS (haven't contacted him yet due to my progression plan not being complete yet) and he can tune to Cobb

Any advice?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Also running 91 instead of 93, could it really cause that much knocking? I was pretty low on gas when it did start to knock. I haven't been able to start it again because its pouring outside and I don't feel like getting drenched.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 AM

Yes it can with the compression ratio our cars have
Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Rawww View Post
Also running 91 instead of 93, could it really cause that much knocking? I was pretty low on gas when it did start to knock. I haven't been able to start it again because its pouring outside and I don't feel like getting drenched.
are you sure its knocking another member posting and post about engine knock the best thing you can do is do a little data logging which will show you if there is any knock, everyone has their preference is have a Cobb AP but there is a gts basemap out there. If you can only use 91 because its what s available then you may want to get a 91 tune. Fuel is already expensive enough not need to continuously add octane boosters every time you fill up.
Injen SRI, UR UICP & LICP, UR 4.5 IC, COBB AP custome stg 2 tune, 3in TBE, Whiteline front strut bar, RRM rear strut bar, tint, roof spoiler, 2.5 turbo compressor outlet pipe, AMS BOV, AMS Boost Pill, TWE Catch Can, Megan Racing Coil Overs

Future Engine and Tranny Mods:
Water Meth Kit
SSP Oil Cooler
Fan for Stock Trans Cooler w/ washable filter

Future Suspension Mods:
Sway Bars
Rear Diff Bushing Kit
Cusco 4 or 5 pt Brace
Front Cross Member
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 AM

For some reason I think ur problem are not knocking/pinging. Don't knocks/ pings happen irregularly? U get more knocking noise as u accelerate? Try octane booster once to see if it goes away, I suspect ur problem might be something else.

-GST basemap
-AMS boostpill
-Works Highflow Drop in air filter
-EVO X BPV
-UR UICP
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bertybrate

our cars are not tune for 93, for a stock RA 91 is ok