ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Default That initial 2 second slow start delay ??

From the UK so an EU car and may not be like the US cars.

I have a 2011 Ralliart Sportback, still in standard trim until the warranty runs out next year.
I like the car and the drive experience but there is one dreadful downer !
From a standing start the first initial pull away, that first 2 seconds, the initial few meters is so so so slow ! Pulling out at a roundabout ( I know, you don't have these) and into a gap you want a quick squirt of speed but it isn't there.
Now, am I correct in thinking that there is a 1st gear limiter in operation on this car that prevents that instant full throttle response ?
And if so..... is it a map tweak to remove it ?
Anyone done this with any noticeable success ?

Cheers

Brian.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:34 PM

stay above 3k rpm in the roundabout, keep it in sport. you wont have a delay then. if you keep the rpm high you will keep the turbo spooling for the corners.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Two second delay? I never had that issue.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM

You have next to no power below boost! Keep it in boost and you'll be fine. Oh, and yes, we have roundabouts. Near me, I have two, one on either side of an overpass and there's no delay when I drive them. hehe

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
From the UK so an EU car and may not be like the US cars.

I have a 2011 Ralliart Sportback, still in standard trim until the warranty runs out next year.
I like the car and the drive experience but there is one dreadful downer !
From a standing start the first initial pull away, that first 2 seconds, the initial few meters is so so so slow ! Pulling out at a roundabout ( I know, you don't have these) and into a gap you want a quick squirt of speed but it isn't there.
Now, am I correct in thinking that there is a 1st gear limiter in operation on this car that prevents that instant full throttle response ?
And if so..... is it a map tweak to remove it ?
Anyone done this with any noticeable success ?

Cheers

Brian.
I had this problem until I started using the Free GST base maps.

After that no problem.
I think I also remember RichardJH mention some sort of low rpm torque limiter on EU/AUS Ralliarts that the US ones don't have
Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokpapaziz View Post
I had this problem until I started using the Free GST base maps.

After that no problem.
I think I also remember RichardJH mention some sort of low rpm torque limiter on EU/AUS Ralliarts that the US ones don't have
As to not confuse the OP, a tune will not 'Magic' low end torque into your car. It's a 2 liter but setup more like a 1.6 N/A.

If you want to drive it under boost (2500-3000) then expect that you will not have the same power that you love. A tune will give you a little more room, but very little. Stock hardware limits you.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM

I know the delay you're talking about. You're not crazy. I have U.S. Ralliart. Maybe the U.K. ones are even more delayed, but we definitely have some delay too. The dealer warned me about it before I test drove it, and I've seen reviews of the Ralliart that talk about it. Although, the one reviewer said he kind of liked it because it was like the calm before the storm. I think even most non-sporty cars would get a nose out on me RIGHT off the line, but then I'd go flying by. It may also just be more noticeable than on regular cars because of the night-and-day difference once the power DOES kick in, instead of being a steady acceleration the entire time. I've just learned how to drive it. For example, if I see I'm going to have a small gap coming up to pull out into, I start giving it gas a little sooner than I would in another car.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napius View Post
I know the delay you're talking about. You're not crazy. I have U.S. Ralliart. Maybe the U.K. ones are even more delayed, but we definitely have some delay too. The dealer warned me about it before I test drove it, and I've seen reviews of the Ralliart that talk about it. Although, the one reviewer said he kind of liked it because it was like the calm before the storm. I think even most non-sporty cars would get a nose out on me RIGHT off the line, but then I'd go flying by. It may also just be more noticeable than on regular cars because of the night-and-day difference once the power DOES kick in, instead of being a steady acceleration the entire time. I've just learned how to drive it. For example, if I see I'm going to have a small gap coming up to pull out into, I start giving it gas a little sooner than I would in another car.
most turbo cars have a little lag, but our cars have a few downers. Not only do we have a slight turbo lag, we also have a drive by wire throttle body with gives all cars a little delay, and tranny tends to think too much some times lol. But after I got my car tuned I noticed more instant power and a little less lag.
Injen SRI, UR UICP & LICP, UR 4.5 IC, COBB AP custome stg 2 tune, 3in TBE, Whiteline front strut bar, RRM rear strut bar, tint, roof spoiler, 2.5 turbo compressor outlet pipe, AMS BOV, AMS Boost Pill, TWE Catch Can, Megan Racing Coil Overs

Future Engine and Tranny Mods:
Water Meth Kit
SSP Oil Cooler
Fan for Stock Trans Cooler w/ washable filter

Future Suspension Mods:
Sway Bars
Rear Diff Bushing Kit
Cusco 4 or 5 pt Brace
Front Cross Member
Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the replies and comments.

One of the obvious problems of asking questions/opinions/information for me is being in the UK and the different specifications of the Sportback in the US so sometimes not relevant.

I have a remap planned for early next year when the car is out of warranty. I have the Evo X intercooler sitting in the garden shed but still need to find the upper and lower hard pipes and all the silicone joiners so I can get it fitted.

Cheers

Brian
Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 AM

I know precisely the delay you're talking about Brian. Off the line from a standstill, the initial deliberate slip of the SST as it figures out how much throttle input you give it, into how much acceleration to provide.

Treating it like an auto will probably drive you mad... I have experienced the overabundance of roundabouts throughout suburban Sydney, every second intersection is one.

I've figured out a way to lessen the delay - ease off the accelerator. It may sound counter intuitive, but it works. Say you're depressing the throttle pedal 1/3 down as you spot a gap in traffic, but since the initial response is lacking, and time is of the essence, you dip your foot down further - to say 2/3s. The electronic brains in the car (TCU/ECU combo) translates that into the driver wanting a hard launch - so it'll raise the engine revs, to get you into boost, all the while holding the clutches open so you're making no forward progress on pavement until the engine speed is sufficient for creating boost, and you'll have the surge of forward acceleration you crave. But that's 2 seconds too late when that gap in traffic is closing fast.

What you do instead, from depressing pedal 1/3 down, is ease off - to trick the car into thinking you're wanting to go slow, and the current (low) engine speed has sufficiently met your demand. This tricks the SST into applying clutches pressure so engine rotation translates into driveshaft rotation - and you get forward momentum. It is only when you start to move that you can start to gradually depress the accelerator again, to gain speed while in motion.

And yes, the GST basemaps improve this delay behaviour of the SST substantially. As well as providing more clamp pressures and less slip in 'normal' mode that reduces the need for switching to sport mode in everyday driving. I highly recommend open source self tuning. You'll save petrol too. In my case 4-5 weeks of petrol money savings paid for the Tactrix.