ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Default Variable valve timing

Hello everyone,

recently my check engine light kept coming on but no codes being displayed with my reader. Dealer says it is variable valve timing retardated and needs a software update. Is my timing chain being pulled here without it even being replaced or is this possible? Any input greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 AM

Please provide your model year.

This is the first time I have heard of a required software update.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:16 PM

I feel like the dealership just bullshitted me... I had ran an auto scan and got no codes from it. It is a 2009 ralliart. I paid $150 to have "software update". The light came back on the next day. I could've cleared myself again. I'm pretty pissed.

Last edited by HiggsRA; 11-24-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:46 PM

Timing chain issues should trigger the 'triangle of doom' on the dash display, so you should be safe. That said, there have been some ECU updates for the 2009, but I have yet to hear that any of them were mandatory.

As well, flashing takes them very little time. What specifically did they list the service as on your invoice?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:07 PM

Thanks for your help and time...
I confirmed they did nothing to the timing chain.

listed on my invoice:

"Scan computer found code P0012 V.V.T. Issue found
software update for issue.

was charged 150$ for what I feel like all they really did was clear the CEL.

(I could not pull up any fault codes from my scan nor many other places could find no fault code)
Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 AM

I can't comment on that code, as I have not experienced it myself or have read anything about it. Hopefully someone else more familiar with that code in particular can chime in.

That said, I can comment on ECU flashes, as I did have one done on an older RA. Maybe this is part of the policy in my area, but after performing an ECU flash the dealer put a sticker under the hood listing the date they performed the flash, and the flash name/revision #.

Did they provide the same for you?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 AM

Wow thanks for the great information. No they did none of this and were doing everything they could to bring it back in because"aftermarket" scanners can't pick up fault codes. (which is complete bs) Not a single place could get a fault code including myself. As a result of this experience I traded in my wife of the last 4 years. She will be missed. But certainly not a lying dealer

Last edited by HiggsRA; 11-25-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsRA View Post
Wow thanks for the great information. No they did none of this and were doing everything they could to bring it back in because"aftermarket" scanners can't pick up fault codes. (which is complete bs) Not a single place could get a fault code including myself. As a result of this experience I traded in my wife of the last 4 years. She will be missed. But certainly not a lying dealer
LMAO!! Love that, trades in his wife!

Just an FYI for engines like ours that have variable valve timing, This is done using many small additional oil passages in the cam and valve train area. This is why is so CRITICAL to do regular oil changes using a full synthetic and the best filter you can afford.

Can you imagine the damage that could occur over time if the computer could not make some minor timing changes to compensate for certain conditions because a bunch of these oil passages got plugged up due to something as simple as dirty oil.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:29 PM

just a quick fyi on here in case anyone was following or what not... I always did regular oil changes at the dealer oem filter / oil at exact times, switched to full synthetic around 3 or 4k miles.