ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 03-06-2015, 11:54 AM

Default Interested in lco

meant to PM

Last edited by HENRYBEAST; 03-06-2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: oops meant to PM
Old 03-10-2015, 12:09 PM

So for those of us with Evo X rear calipers, are there any custom SS lines available?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBrake View Post
So for those of us with Evo X rear calipers, are there any custom SS lines available?
Why yes, yes they are.......

What are you looking for? In the rear, there are actually 2 lines per side. The line closer to the front of the car is unchanged, whether using X or RA rears. The line that actually hooks to the caliper is the one that is different. Just let me know what you need.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post

What are you looking for? In the rear, there are actually 2 lines per side. The line closer to the front of the car is unchanged, whether using X or RA rears. The line that actually hooks to the caliper is the one that is different. Just let me know what you need.
2 lines per side for the rear? That would explain why I had 2 brake lines left after installing your big brake kit which included the stainless steel lines. LOL! I might just have to check this out.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
2 lines per side for the rear? That would explain why I had 2 brake lines left after installing your big brake kit which included the stainless steel lines. LOL! I might just have to check this out.

I guess I really should be more descriptive with the lines when I send them out. You can see that the RA has two rubber lines that can be replaced in this image, with a factory hard line in between them.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:50 AM

Excellent.

It is the line that hooks directly to the caliper that I would like to replace, as I ended up using a set of Evo X SS front lines to get the length I needed for use with the Evo X rear caliper. Not a great solution as it resulted in excess length which I had to creatively route without binding.

Quote:

Old 05-01-2015, 07:33 PM

Drew, first if all, congratulations on the work and effort. It's definitely a master piece. One thing I've been wondering, though, is the balance between front and rear brakes... Won't the difference between them be too big with this bbk in the front and oem brakes in the rear?

Thanks and, once again, congrats!
Old 05-02-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caduprado View Post
Drew, first if all, congratulations on the work and effort. It's definitely a master piece. One thing I've been wondering, though, is the balance between front and rear brakes... Won't the difference between them be too big with this bbk in the front and oem brakes in the rear?

Thanks and, once again, congrats!
Caduprado,
Thanks for the interest. The short answer is No, not at all. There is a reason I selected the calipers that I did. They absolutely work seamlessly with the OEM rears, or evo X rears.

The technical answer....
When calculating fluid displacement using piston area in a fixed versus floating caliper, you have to double the area in the floating caliper. The reason for this is that the pistons move twice as far in a floating caliper as they do in a fixed caliper. This is hard to explain with words, but think of it this way. If there is a 2mm gap on each side between the rotor and pad, the fixed caliper piston has to move 2mm to push the pad against the rotor on one side. The 2mm on the other side is closed by the piston on the other side of the rotor. In a floating caliper, the piston is only on one side. That piston on one side has to move 2mm to close the gap on one side, but there is still the 2mm gap on the other side. So the floating piston has to move an additional 2mm to close that gap, as well. So you can see that the floating pistons have to travel twice as far as the fixed pistons. This is why you double the area. Now to the numbers...

OEM RA fronts are 2 piston (43mm x2) in a floating caliper.
X fronts are 4 piston (46mm x2, 40mm x2) in a fixed caliper.
My Brembos are 6 piston (38mm x2, 34mm x2, 30mm x2) in a fixed caliper.

RA piston area: 23235.22mm2
X piston area: 23348.32mm2
My kit area: 21991.15mm2

As you can see, there is about a 5% difference in front area alone between mine and the RA.

Now for the rears..

OEM RA rear area: 9072.92mm2
X rear area: 10053.10mm2

So OEM RA has a 2.56:1 front bias
OEM X has a 2.32:1 front bias
My BBK/RA rear has a 2.42:1 front bias
My BBK/X rear has a 2.19:1 front bias

All of these scenarios work absolutely perfect with the OEM system. Long winded answer, yes. I just wanted everyone to know that this isn't something I just threw together. I put in far too many hours of research to make this kit as perfect as it could be. Hope this answers your question. But the REAL answer is, ask anyone that has the kit, and they will tell you what the data supports. It works perfectly.

Last edited by Drew; 05-02-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:30 AM

Thanks a lot for the nice explanation, Drew! I'm still studying the market (aka my wallet lol) to see when it will be the time to upgrade my brakes...

Also, I'm from Brazil... What makes any bbk expensive as hell, as the shipping and taxes are sky high

Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:

So OEM RA has a 2.56:1 front bias
OEM X has a 2.32:1 front bias
My BBK/RA rear has a 2.42:1 front bias
My BBK/X rear has a 2.19:1 front bias
I've tracked with the BBK/X setup before and after, and I can assure you, unless you drive like and donkey (substitution for butt), you will not have any problems with this. Make sure you use the same pads front and rear, unless you understand how to deal with coefficient of friction differences.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned earlier.... say for example, you use EBC yellowstuff pads in the BBK/X set-up, front and rear, and you wanted to bias EVEN more rear, put some Bluestuff pads in the rear. I had done the calculations a while ago, but I don't have those papers. They are stuck in the NASA North West trailer, in the tech cabinet, somewhere in California.....