ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM

ok so there are slight differences in the specifications.. its hard to tell what those differences mean in real world application. they do not deviate dramatically..

ffl2
http://www.pentosin.de/flexxtrader/d...20FFL-2_GB.pdf

diaqueen:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/4418CAB422531B298025795600647C43/$File/074926BOT%20341.pdf

i would summarize the differences but i am busy atm. someone else be a doll?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 PM

This is great info. I find it also interesting the Ford Powershift transmission uses the exact same filter and housing as we do. I have found a few images of the ford one, and it is exact to ours. Again, only available in Europe and seems to cost around 40$. Seems fishy to me, exact same product, but 1/3 price. Might drop by Ford dealership and ask to see their filters for their powershift cars, pretty sure the new fiesta has it.

http://www.fordownersclubmalaysia.co...php?f=29&t=303

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8298
http://ford.sklep.pl/pl,product,3776...egow,ford.html
EVOx FMIC
UR UICP
20% tint rear
35% tint front
Painted OEM rims
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM

I was reading someone with SST problems who went to the dealer to get it fixed and they denied him warranty service because he did his transmission fluid change so now I'm a little scared to go along to do it myself.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46byeRAhi View Post
ok so there are slight differences in the specifications.. its hard to tell what those differences mean in real world application. they do not deviate dramatically..

ffl2
http://www.pentosin.de/flexxtrader/d...20FFL-2_GB.pdf

diaqueen:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/4418CAB422531B298025795600647C43/$File/074926BOT%20341.pdf

i would summarize the differences but i am busy atm. someone else be a doll?
I've looked over those articles before and the main differences in the specs between them really aren't that big, just viscosity and flash points really.

It's the platform they're designed for and what additives they use in each, that's whats important to understand.

Porche's PDK which is a joint manufacturing project by both Porsche and ZF has 2 different types of Dual Clutch Transmissions depending on the car. Some models use a single oil circuit and some use dual oil circuits, which makes a huge difference in fluids that need to be used.
DCT/DSG (Getrag/BorgWarner) transmissions, from what I know, only use single oil circuits for all of their current models.
From my understand, again, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Each transmission has the same basic twin clutch concept, but the internals and how it's implemented are whats different.
How the gears and clutches are lubricated, how much force and pressure is put on each component and how the oil circuit(s) utilize and distribute the fluid(s) for lubrication and whether it requires 1 or 2 types of fluid, just transmission fluid or transmission fluid AND gear oil.

Each fluid is specifically designed to withstand that specific twin clutch's demands. Some fluids might not be able to withstand the demands of a certain twin clutch and burn up the clutches or gears, some might be overkill and slow down the flow of the fluid, some might be fine for the clutches but not for the gears or vice versa.

So it's very important to understand the mechanics of these transmissions.
I personally don't know the mechanics behind the PDK (FFL-3) and that's why I exchanged it for FFL-2 (DSG).
DCT's that use confirmed compatable fluid are made by either BorgWarner or Getrag, respectively.

Volkswagen Group had the origional rights to implement a dual clutch transmission in a commercial production car. Porsche made the first DCT's in-house for Porsche and Audi racing applications in the 80's.

Also, so there isn't any confusion.
DSG is just Volkswagen's name for their DCT, like Mitsubishi's is called TC-SST, Ford's is called PowerShift and BMW's is called MDCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46byeRAhi View Post
although they are unable to chime in here, i know of someone who has beeGn using FFL2 for some time now with no problems (in fact, they see no need to switch back to diaqueen)
Yeah, there are a few credible people in the MR/Ralliart group that have been using FFL-2 for a while, Bryan@GST for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossssman38 View Post
I was reading someone with SST problems who went to the dealer to get it fixed and they denied him warranty service because he did his transmission fluid change so now I'm a little scared to go along to do it myself.
Mitsubishi isn't fucking around with warranty claims on their cars. Especially a blown motor or a $10,000 transmission.

If you're filing a warranty claim on something big and expensive, you better have the papers to back up your maitenance. Mitsubishi wants everything documented, they want service receipts from a Mitsubishi dealer or a certified shop for: Oil changes, transmission fluid changes using OEM fluid, diff fluid changes, etc.

You can NOT do it yourself, Mitsubishi doesn't think we are qualified to do our own maintenance. No matter how much experience we have.
But their Mitsu techs that want to put CVT fluid in our SST's and conventiol oil in our motors are just fine.
But what do you expect from a company whose automotive branch is going under in North America.

My warranty has long been out the window so I'm not going to worry about Mitsubishi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
Thanks for doing the leg work & bringing the info to the site, Kyle.
Much appreciated.

If I was rich I would give you an award of some sort.
It's not a problem at all!
This stuff is just as important for us as it is for the MR owners.
It's totally worth the effort.

2012 Evo X GSR-
Custom CBE / Custom Test Pipe / AEM Intake / Depo Racing UICP / GM 3-Port / ASNU 1100cc injectors / DW 300lph+ fuel pump / EvoD Surge Tank w/ Bosch 044 fuel pump / Fermented Corn Dextrose / Hotchkis rear sway bar and end links / Self Tuned

Last edited by KyleKitchen; 02-09-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
Stock pump is strong enough to handle the RRE dual sst coolers setup.

I run the stock filter setup so far. Hoping to upgrade to aluminum housing in the future. Maybe even use do some custom K&N filter or SSP for SSTF, still looking into it.

Having additional filter may need additional pressure/pump to keep the fluid going at the optimal flow rate. I have seen inline filter & inline pump that you bolt on. Dont know how well they would work. Keep us posted if you're going to be a guinea pig.

Decided on just ordering one and doing a single tranny cooler. I as well will be using ffl-2 since it seems like it will work with our tranny.

Mods:Evo X turbo, RallInspired Tune, Magnaflow Catback, GM 3-port, Xtremeboost O2 Dump, UR Test Pipe, UR SRI, Depo UICP-LICP, AMS FMIC, Synapse Diverter Valve, SSP Inline Filter, SSP Tranny Cooler, SSP Clutch Packs, Tein S-specs, Apexi L.E. Turbo Timer, Seibon CF CW-style hood, CF Duluck Trunk, Gold Evo X Wheels w/ all four corners rolled, AEM Boost Gauge, AEM Wideband with A Pillar Gauge Pods, Evo X fender vents.

Future Mods:E-85 Tune, RallInspired Fuel Pump and CF Roof Wrap.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 AM

I wander if bryan@gst did a write-up on this?

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliNurse View Post
I wander if bryan@gst did a write-up on this?
Bryan never did an official write up on it.
Trust me, I've looked. haha
But he does mention it every once in a while on other forums.
No one seems to really listen to him though.
  • Dec 27, 2011:
"The pentosin FFL-2 is also equivalent (and approved VW factory fill) oil as well. Amber color as well.

$18 / litre

There is also FFL-3 (made for Porsche PDK) and FFL-4 (made for BMW M series DCT) that would work well for heavy duty applications (track, etc)"
  • Jan 6, 2012:
"It is FFL-2.

It literally just was delivered right now and I opened the box. It's full of FFL-2 bottles.

BTW, this hasn't been my first FFL-2 order. "
  • Jan 7, 2012:
"Quote:
Originally Posted by adog View Post
'How long were u planning on keeping this from us sir'

I posted it a couple times months ago. I guess nobody saw it or just ignored it."
  • 01-24-2012:
"Seriously, how many times, in how many different threads, did I say that fluid was the same?

Nobody should ever listen to me.

Pentosin FFL-2 is the same, and cheaper. You can find it for $15/L "

2012 Evo X GSR-
Custom CBE / Custom Test Pipe / AEM Intake / Depo Racing UICP / GM 3-Port / ASNU 1100cc injectors / DW 300lph+ fuel pump / EvoD Surge Tank w/ Bosch 044 fuel pump / Fermented Corn Dextrose / Hotchkis rear sway bar and end links / Self Tuned
Old 02-09-2012, 01:03 AM

Bryan does mention that you can use FFL-3 and FFL-4 in the SST.
I really just don't want to be the first to try it to see if it works! haha

I'm 19, make a little over California's minimum wage and I'm going through school. I really need a $10,000 transmission essploding all over my engine bay because I wanted to be the super guinea pig.

I feel comfortable trying FFL-2 because Bryan has used it multiple times without blowing up anything.

I'm just adding another experience and spreading the knowledge to reassure people that have any doubts on what Bryan has stated.
Plus I will also be making a step by step how to on changing the fluid and adding a second cooler with pics/nudez.

Then I'll post the results and my opinion on the fluid.
First, right after the change and then again later on down the road (track days included).

It really is important to hear opinions from multiple people and see their results compared to others.

2012 Evo X GSR-

Last edited by KyleKitchen; 02-09-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 AM

I've found those same threads. There is way more information gathered here on the specific subject so far.

Thanks all!

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAbOS View Post
I've found those same threads. There is way more information gathered here on the specific subject so far.

Thanks all!
I spent a couple of days searching the other forums for info but every thread seemed to go off topic too often and everyone just argued and posted false and random information without any sources.

My goal with this thread is to keep it organized and on topic.
I don't want this thread turning into a mess like the others.
I want people to be able to come back to this months and maybe years from now and still be able to understand and follow whats going on without having to worry about whether they read information that was true or not.

2012 Evo X GSR-

Last edited by KyleKitchen; 02-09-2012 at 02:01 AM.