ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 PM

Default How-To: RA Turbo-swap (Evo X and RAD)

As many of you know, the CBRD turbocharger is almost ready to be released. I have the privilege of testing the first one on my personal RA. I am hoping for some good numbers. Either way, I thought that I would make my first contribution to this site a guide to swapping out the small RA snail.

This is adapted from the Evo X guide, but it should work for the RA:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...tions_RevA.pdf

It should be pretty straight-forward adapting those instructions to the RA. When you see a part that is not carried over, just remove the stock piece and insert the new EVO X piece. If I see any glaring differences that need addressing when I have my car in the air, I will update this thread.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 PM

Wow, good to hear you'll be the first. CBRD is quality! Keep us updated!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 AM

NFSLancer...When will you be testing out the new turbo? And is it going to be the RAD Lite or full?
[X] DC Sports dual Cat back
[X] RAD lite (uninstalled)
[ ] Custome Tune
Old 02-03-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeRA View Post
NFSLancer...When will you be testing out the new turbo? And is it going to be the RAD Lite or full?
I have the turbocharger ("lite"...I wish that I had had the option of the full, however, I have seen the pricing and there is a BIG difference). I am waiting on a CBRD Intercooler. Chad is going to fabricate it next week. As far as I know, it is only the second one that he has ever done, so fingers crossed. I can tell you that there is also a new ROM associated with this turbo-swap that comes with brand new transmission tables designed to cure some of the clutch let-go problems associated with higher torque levels. I have seen it, and it looks great! It is going to be at the earliest the weekend after next when the parts go on. More likely, however, it is going to be 3 weeks from now. It will then be another week until I can get my car on the dyno. We usually only do that on Friday mornings when the number of cars in the shop is low. The only thing that is not ready is the intercooler.

There is honestly no way of knowing what this thing is going to do. I spent some serious money on the supporting modifications, so hopefully the numbers will be high.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA View Post
I have the turbocharger ("lite"...I wish that I had had the option of the full, however, I have seen the pricing and there is a BIG difference). I am waiting on a CBRD Intercooler. Chad is going to fabricate it next week. As far as I know, it is only the second one that he has ever done, so fingers crossed. I can tell you that there is also a new ROM associated with this turbo-swap that comes with brand new transmission tables designed to cure some of the clutch let-go problems associated with higher torque levels. I have seen it, and it looks great! It is going to be at the earliest the weekend after next when the parts go on. More likely, however, it is going to be 3 weeks from now. It will then be another week until I can get my car on the dyno. We usually only do that on Friday mornings when the number of cars in the shop is low. The only thing that is not ready is the intercooler.

There is honestly no way of knowing what this thing is going to do. I spent some serious money on the supporting modifications, so hopefully the numbers will be high.
I can't wait i have been following everything from CBRD since they announced it. I am expecting a hefty tax return and am just waiting to drop it on CBRD. I would like to go with the lite but live in florida and can't afford any down time so hopefully i will get my hands on the RAD Full. And that is great that they have come up with some new ROM to correct transmission problems. Just playing the waiting game at this point. Good luck to you and the swap can't wait to see the numbers!!
[ ] Custome Tune
Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I can't wait i have been following everything from CBRD since they announced it. I am expecting a hefty tax return and am just waiting to drop it on CBRD. I would like to go with the lite but live in florida and can't afford any down time so hopefully i will get my hands on the RAD Full. And that is great that they have come up with some new ROM to correct transmission problems. Just playing the waiting game at this point. Good luck to you and the swap can't wait to see the numbers!!
I will sell you my stock unit if you would like. That is how this whole thing is going to work. You send in a stock unit and get an RAD in return.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA View Post
I will sell you my stock unit if you would like. That is how this whole thing is going to work. You send in a stock unit and get an RAD in return.
Chad said something different to me about some that he could sell so that there would be no down time, but if this ends up being untrue i will take you up on your stock on for sure cuz i can't afford down time at all
[ ] Custome Tune
Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Chad said something different to me about some that he could sell so that there would be no down time, but if this ends up being untrue i will take you up on your stock on for sure cuz i can't afford down time at all
:dunno:

I haven't spoken to him in a while, so he probably has been collected cores to work on. They aren't too hard to find. There are a lot of people out there swapping out the RA unit for the X setup. Either way, my offer still stands.

Good luck! You won't be disappointed with the setup. The units look great!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Any updates?
[ ] Custome Tune
Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Any updates?
The date is set for next Saturday to swap the turbocharger. It will be the following Friday when it goes on the dyno. I have the CBRD FMIC, though. It looks awesome!