ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Default Best Paint?

Hey guys i wondering if anyone had some tips on how to spray paint wheels. Anything that i should purchase or anything i should do to make it look or be better? Apologizes if its on the wrong thread.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stArvining View Post
Hey guys i wondering if anyone had some tips on how to spray paint wheels. Anything that i should purchase or anything i should do to make it look or be better? Apologizes if its on the wrong thread.
This can be a loaded question

How much are you willing to spend? How much work are you willing to do? 3 part paint? single part paint? water based? polyurethane based? spray gun? aerosol can?

zeRep
Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stArvining View Post
Judging that you say "Spray Paint" I'm assuming you're talking about piss can from your local Vato Zone, O'really, or Napa. I would recommend using paint that is meant for wheels. High temp if possible.

If you're refinishing wheels or repainting your stockers or anything with a finish already done on it, you need to start by sanding all of the clear off and almost getting down to the metal. Use a heavier grit sandpaper and probably a nice sanding wheel for this. Dremel's work great!

Once you get all of that original coating off, you'll come up on the grit to smooth everything out and get a nice sanded finish. Make sure you keep things CLEAN. Preparation is honestly the most important part about painting. You can be a crappy painter but with a good prepared surface you can still make things look nice.

I would say end your sanding at about a 800 grit wet/dry to make sure you have a good surface for paint to bond to.

Now is when you can break out a primer if you wish to make the painting surface all the better. I would say this is an optional step depending on what color you are painting. If you're doing perhaps a color changing 2 stage paint kit then you need the base primer coat.

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE CAN!

If it says 7 days to cure. Guess what? Wait the 7 days. If it tells you to only spray when it's 74 degrees ambient temp while patting your head with a free hand and jumping on one foot, do it. Don't take the chance of having to do rework later. It's honestly a waste of your money and your time.

After you get a nice color on there and it's fully cured, you can do a clear coat, or do a nice 2000 grit wet sand/buff to make it pop and shine.

Voila! You have painted wheels.
Evo X FMIC | MAP UICP | Evo X LICP | Evo X BPV | AEM Intake | AMS Boost Pill | GST Basemap Tuned by Razorlabs | RRM GRIP Springs | Oil Catch Tank | Agency Power Downpipe | Avid1 18x9 +35 Wheels | Project Kics R28 Lugs | AMS 3" Resonated Test Pipe | Ultimate Racing 3" Dual-Tip Catback | Zeitronix ZT-2 + ZR-2 Wideband/Boost gauge | Tomei Oil Cap | CF Engine Cover | CF Hood Struts | HKS Radiator Cap | Coming Soon: Evo X turbo upgrade