ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 PM

Default Help, considering RA, Reliability?????

I am a 34 year old financial planner. I am considering trading in my 07' BMW 335I for a 2010 Ralliart Sportback. I have driven it twice and can't get it out of my mind. The 10' Sportback seems as if it will offer the driving experiance I am looking for and practicality I need with two kids. It is more fun to drive then the 335I.

My concern, I put 25K-30K miles on my car per year for work, essentially my car is my office. Does anyone use this car similarly? Can I count on this car to be reliable or will it be a maint. nightmare? Before the BMW was an Acura, Honda, & Maxima. I am looking for similar reliability, but Japanese and fun as hell to drive--this car is it for that. Help me feel comfortable enough to go to the delaer tomorrw and make this happen. Thanks so much for your help!!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:07 PM

I have put 60,000(app 38,00 miles) km on mine in 1 1/2 yrs without any issues(more than i can say for my next dr neighbours 3 series - his leather looks horrible after only about 40000 miles and he paid 15k more than me, although he still likes the car he says he wont ever buy another Bimmer beacause of reliablity and maintenance costs)....I love my car the only thing I worry about is what it will cost when the clutches go o n the SST, but until then I am REALLY enjoying the car
and Hankook Ventus,hiflow cat, intake, Evo IX BOV and tune now at 252whp, 265 lbsft....next up turbo, IC, IC pipes, downpipe!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 PM

Good to hear, thanks! Twin clutch replacement, hmmmmm! Yeah, I won't buy another BMW for awhile. Fun, but not worth the time at the dealer.

That is sort of the problem, I am looking for something as fun to drive as the BMW but w/o all of the maint prblems. I want similar performance with much better reliability. I am trying to decide if that is this car, I hope so because it sure is fun to drive. Your feedback really helps, thanks.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

I drive mine on a daily base may not put as much as miles as you.
About 21k+ miles on it now for 1yr and a half.

As far as reliability, it all depends on how much you abuse it & neglect it.
If you upkeep all your fluids, these cars will last normal operation.

If you start abusing it you will notice
-tires are not cheap
-brakes are not cheap
-SST fluids are not cheap

TC-SST is definitely NOT CHEAP AT ALL.

Full Synthetic Mobile 1 5w30 5qt, can be picked up from Walmart for 21.00$ or 23.XX$ with Tax.

"Premium Only" Im sure gas is not an issue for you.

After all that said, I love my RA.
I would opt for all the accessories, if I was you.
I didnt opt for recaro & I regret it.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 PM

I've had mine for about a year and having around 15000 miles on it. I haven't had any problems with it. Everything should be cheaper than your Beemer. Tires and brakes replacement costs depend on how you drive. If you track it, you'll need better tires and brakes and will need to replace more often.

SST is what seems to scare everyone. It is new and expensive. There have been a few reported incidents but not enough to worry about it. Most of those incidents have owners who have done some sort of modding so if you keep it stock, it should be ok.

This is my third mitsu and I've been happy with them all. I had a 97 Mitsu mirage with 92HP that I loved because it got 38MPGs. It had 115000 miles when I traded it for my 04 Ralliart. Had that for about 90000 with only a fan controller that broke everything else was fine.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:53 PM

DO IT!

I put on over 25k miles on mine in the first year and I'm around 32k right now. Plus I've been running tuned since the first couple months I've had it. I do a lot of commuting and its been the best thing ever!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:17 PM

You have 2 kids?...sure...toss them in there!
You have Costco or Sam's?...no problem....shove it in the trunk!
You need to get out of a jam?...why not...comes w/Evo 9's AWD drivetrain!
and I'm 35...

But MTZL is right...Japanese cars...as long as you keep up with the maintinence program you'll be ok...it's like their women...as long as your treat them right...you'll get same in return...lol...
Old 09-12-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliNurse View Post
You have 2 kids?...sure...toss them in there!
You have Costco or Sam's?...no problem....shove it in the trunk!
You need to get out of a jam?...why not...comes w/Evo 9's AWD drivetrain!
and I'm 35...

But MTZL is right...Japanese cars...as long as you keep up with the maintinence program you'll be ok...it's like their women...as long as your treat them right...you'll get same in return...lol...
in that case..im spoiling my lady...
Old 09-13-2010, 06:28 AM

I don't plan to beat on it, drive it for sure, but not beat the snot out of it. Sounds like there are others that are using this for a daily driver that have had similar reliability as a Honda or Toyota.

I just want my cake and to eat it too. I want kick ass performance without a lot of maint. If it was a garage car for the weekends it would be different story. unfortunately I want one car to serve 12 different purposes. Thanks for all the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Can't speak about the reliability of the RA as I've only had mine for five months & 7k miles, but I can about Mitsus in general. My previous car was a '98 Eclipse GSX. I put 85k miles on it over 12 years (had a sweet, short commute then) and it was pretty reliable. Had to replace the clutch twice, and got new brake rotors at about 60k. Otherwise no major issues.

My RA is faster than my GSX and I've done no mods yet. Hopefully that'll change soon...