ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > Motorsports > General Motorsports Events

Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 PM

Default Jacks Racing thread.

Hi everyone, just wanted to share something with you I have done a couple High performance schools to get my Solo Sprint pro race license earlier this year and I am 1/2 way done the season. I found there were a about 16 cars in my class so they had to divide the cars into 2 groups and there were qualifying rounds etc. Having never done track stuff like this before I was pleasantly surprise to find myself as the 7th fastest overall as most of the drivers had done this before and for at least a couple years or moe it turn out.

Basically the set up is 1 lap warm up then 3 to 5 balls to the wall timed laps using transponders on each car then 1 cool down lap.

Most of these Events have a qualifying round or practice round. This gives the officials a chance to see if some cars or their drivers have gotten faster than maybe the car that was ahead of them at the last event. Some people really get into it and improve their car and their driving between events.

Problem is that this past weekend we only had 6 cars meaning only enough to fill 1 grid, but we had to sessions booked at 5 different intervals though out the day. I thought great twice the track time for the same amount of money. Entry fee is $100 each event.

Stock brakes are OK for 4-6 laps and tranny about 5 laps long or if no cooldown time between sessions I lost several gears, the slow down screen kept coming up and by this time I only had 1st to 4th gear so I had to wave other drivers by me on the straight away, after about 5 laps I find the transmission will not shift in sport mode and I end up bouncing off the rev limiter switching to normal gives me about another 90 seconds so I can squeeze in about another lap and a bit then I have to go manual then I start losing 6th within seconds 5th is gone and by the time I am at lap 9 or 10 of 12 laps or lap 4 of 6 of the second set of laps. I was down to 3rd gear, when I tried to shift up the car would buck and surge and choke and backfire then power was lost then repeat the cycle so you keep downshifting til you find one that the computer will let you drive in.

After pulling into the pits the 3rd time a lap or 2 short of finishing the 2nd race of each session to cool the car down as I was doing nothing but impacting everyone else's lap time in a very negative way. After letting the car cool down for 40 minutes I took the car for a short drive to the nearest town 3 miles away as I was almost out of gas. The car was in normal and automatic mode and drove and shifted fine. I decided to only run the first race in each session as that was the limit to which the car would hold up.

Sorry for the novel, but bottom line I am pulling my car from Solo Sprint for this year and next until I get the brakes upgraded in a big way and have found a solution to our easily overheated Transmission. I will add that it was very hot that day about+ 31 Deg Celcius and +38 with the humidex.

I am looking for feed back from other fellow racers, not just dragstrip guys but autocross and other race class drivers. Also looking for solutions or aftermarket parts to aid in cooling the transmission, engine oil etc..

It was extremely embarrassing to have to pull over on the straight away to let a Ford Focus pass me because all I had was 1st 2nd and 3rd gear at the time, very humbling I will say and that was one of the few times I swore aloud that I should of got the Evo X.

Last edited by Jackal; 06-21-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

I went to afew autocross but only had time for 5 laps & mt runs (1hr or so long 5k rpm in every gear) I came back home in one piece. Scared myself @ 80mph/128.74kmh going into hairpin turn.

I turn my heater on full heat full blast for quick & cheap solution of cooling the engine bay. If the car suffer from heat so will I.
(you may not be up to the task with full helmet, safety gears, & etc.)

Get some coolers.

MikeW@RRE made mine for SST two in series.
Install was straight forward. I just copied how the factory was setup & ran the cooler in series
Tranny to Small cooler to Big cooler back to tranny via filter housing.
Stock pump is fine for the setup.
Stock Cooler was replaced with the bigger cooler.

Smaller Cooler sit on the front bumper away from the intake.

Fan maybe a good idea, faster the rpm faster the fan operates would be great. Maybe you can design one Jack.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Another thing is on autocross as silly as it sounds I dont use much brake.
I heard mix thing about Brake boosting doesnt work & it confuses the SST,
so left foot braking is something I never did.
If my left foot do any braking, is quick jab & timed with throttle to rotate.
I have never brake & throttle at the same time in my RA.
(I can do this in my civic & have done it plenty of time but I dont think SST would appreciate it)
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM

This is one thing that worried me, i wanted to go to the autoban club with ams this year but decided not to do any autox or track driving till i upgrade some things.

I would go bigger cooler like MTZL recomends or double lol, and one thing i wanted since it came out was the SSP large trans pan(more fluid=cooler trans=happy trans).

Actually now that i think of it there is someone selling the SSP trans pan on evox forums..
link
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50882

Last edited by susafuss; 07-20-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

I remember seeing one with Dip Stick, the way at least you can check the fluid level.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 PM

Well Solo Sprint can get a little hard core especially when competing against veterans. I was doing between 160 km/hr to 190 km/hr coming off the straightaway into a sweeping left turn where you are braking down to about 120 to 140 to make the corner. The instructors showed us how to do trail braking as necessary to keep the car balanced so your transitions are smooth going in and out of the apex of each corner to maintain a higher overall speed.

It is a blast but I have totalled another set of tires and 2nd set of brake pads this year. I will be putting on brand new Hankook Ventos Evo 12 or something like that are sitting in the garage and after I get rotors machined again will be putting on ceramic pads.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
I remember seeing one with Dip Stick, the way at least you can check the fluid level.
I am not sure if this is totally true but i heard some evo guys say that it is alittle silly to have a dipstick(although i do want one myself, and will most likely get one when i do buy an bigger trans pan) because there are 3 chambers that the trans has and where the fluid goes hence why we have 3 drain plugs. So if you where checking fluid by where one dip stick is there still is no way to know how much fluid is in the others.

Though with that being said i still stand by what i say, i think monitoring how much fluid is in the pan still is worth it. Not to mention if SSP puts one in there i will assume they know what they are doing lol
Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 AM

What tune are you running?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

^ I assume you were asking Jack?

Me? Idk you tuned my ra. are you available for update? I don't have cable or s/w.
Would like to try reverse drag racing & reverse 180.

So you can tweak the slow down warning?

Last edited by MTZL; 07-21-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM

Brake boosting works for me when left foot braking. Very handy in the 1 or 2 super slow tight corners in Solo. Solo though, really can not be treated the same as full circuit runs in many ways. Solo guys will run toe setups that would tear through tires on a full circuit runs above 40mph, as an example.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV