ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Articles and HOW-TOs

Old 07-14-2010, 04:28 PM

Default HOW TO: Valentine 1 Stealth Headrest Install, Hardwire,Mute Button, Concealed Display

The Valentine 1 (as well as other radar detectors....) is amazing. But I've always had a few qualms:
a) if i get pulled over and a cop sees it, no bueno.
b) everytime I park, I have to remove it so my car isn't broken into
c) hitting the mute switch is out of reach
d) people behind me that see I have a v1, tailgate/follow me incessantly

solution?
a) headrest stealth install
b) " "
c) install custom mute switch
d) Concealed Display unit

The headrest install does not reduce any radar detecting functionality of the V1 since radar easily travels through foam/fabric. Laser detecting capabilities are gone but there is no such thing as early notification of Laser. Also, a Laser ticket is so easily fightable that I can never imagine being convicted by one with my lawyer. So headrest install was the way to go. First we have to hardwire the v1 though...

HARDWIRE:
-philips screwdriver
-V1 hardwire kit
-RJ11 phone cords

2) remove the panel under the driverside dash (the panel that contains the hood opening latch). this should give you access to some fuse wires.
3) Use the Vamp-clip to splice into the Red wire shown in the picture. there should be an orange wire and green wire in the same bundle, the bundle is located to the left of the obd2 port. It will power up the Radar detector when the car is in Accessory position and turn the RD off when the car is off and the driverside door opens.

4) connect the vamp-clip to the V1 hardwire kit. connect the black wire to a ground bolt somewhere under the dash.
5) the Valentine 1 connects to the 'Main Unit' outlet in the hardwire piece and the RJ11 splitter connects into the 'Accessory Port'. Both the Mute switch and Concealed Display connect here. If you wish to use only a Mute Switch or only a Concealed Display, the RJ11 Splitter is not needed.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:32 PM

HEADREST Stealth Install:
-xacto knife
-masking tape
-12ft RJ11 cord

2) make incisions with the xacto knife along the inner edge, all the way around the square to be cut out.
3) heat the knife before cutting deep into the foam, it cuts through the foam with less effort. Cut about 2 inches deep so Radar detector sits as high as possible in the headrest. when you hit the metal frame, you've gone far enough.
4) connect Rj11 v1 and place unit inside headrest, make sure the orientation is correct and not backwards.

5) Fold the backseat down, there should be an opening on the back. make an incision at the bottom of the seat to route the cord through the backseat. this will retain the folding-seat-functionality without having the V1 cords move. any excess cord after wiring to the hardwire unit can be tucked away in the backseat area here.

6) route the cord along the driverside floor panels to the hardwire unit under the dash. tada.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 PM

Mute Switch:
-RJ11 phone cord
-wire stripper
-SPST momentary switch
-electrical tape

4) Test to make sure the mute button works. Connect it to the RJ11 spliiter under the dash and press and hold the mute button. If the V1 unit changes modes (Advanced to Logic etc), then the button works. If it doesn't, switch the wires connected to the switch contacts (its easy to get it backwards).
5) tada, mount the switch somewhere useful. I chose the empty switch next to AWC because its near the shifter.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Concealed Display

Since sometimes its hard to discern whether an X band or a K band is going off, I decided to put a piece of electrical tape over the X band indicator LED. This way, if i see a Bogey on the display without an indicator, I know it is not a threat. If i see a Bogey with an Indicator light, it HAS to be K or Ka band and a probable threat. This makes it much easier at night when only LEDs are flashing from the concealed display (the lettering next to the LED is not possible to read at night).
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Great idea, and great write up!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Ninja Stealth! :thumbsup:
Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Simply badass.

How much $$$ for labor?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Why did you cover the LED?

You can program the V1 to ignore X or K, then up the sensitivity for Ka and Lidar. Although by the time they hit you with Lidar is already too late 80% of the time. Plus every car with active cruise sets the darn thing off.....

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-pr...tector-258924/

Also, out of curiosity, are you still able to detect lidar with the sensors obstructed and have you noticed a reduction in normal signal detection.

Great detail in your write up. Thanks for posting it!

Blaze
Old 07-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Why did you cover the LED?

You can program the V1 to ignore X or K, then up the sensitivity for Ka and Lidar. Although by the time they hit you with Lidar is already too late 80% of the time. Plus every car with active cruise sets the darn thing off.....

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-pr...tector-258924/

Also, out of curiosity, are you still able to detect lidar with the sensors obstructed and have you noticed a reduction in normal signal detection.

Great detail in your write up. Thanks for posting it!

Blaze
Laser detection is gone since the sensor is covered, and I programmed it to ignore X using that link. thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Administrator

I think I read that the only state that uses X was Rhode Island.