ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM

Default ACD Pump failure

So the AWD service light came on and the local dealer verified the pump is indeed failing, failed, whatever. Given that I live in a snowy climate, I suppose that makes sense. They would not warranty the pump as my car's ECU is reflashed, and apparently to warranty the pump they need to send info from the ECU into corporate and it would completely void my warranty. So they really don't care that the car's modded, but their hands are tied on this particular repair.

So, I'm wondering what my options are? They quoted me ~ 1500 to replace it. I'd prefer to wait a bit and save some money. Is driving it as is going to hurt anything, or just limit how well my car's traction is? Is there an aftermarket source for a pump less likely to fail? And is there any way to protect a new pump moving forward?
Old 08-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Regional Moderator

you hit dealer with the reflash in place? or was it a stock map, and they found the old one? ive been told you should flash back, and wait a little while, and try another dealer, if you can.. ive also read some dealers wont cover this sometimes as its considered a luxury item(personally i find that to be BS) but ive read it several times on evo forums..

minimal partial rolls $60(no tab grinding)

So cal fender roller rental $10 per day(3 day min) with $200 cash deposit. Includes Eastwood fender roller, heat gun and heavyweight carry bag.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Default Check these guys out

If you want a pump that won't fail. Get ahold of these guys. I'll be ordering one before winter to replace mine that went bad. You'll just have to get someone (or yourself) to swap yours out and bleed the system. Or take it to the dealer.

http://www.acd-pump.com/?f_checkoutR...-services/c66t
Old 08-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markspd6 View Post
you hit dealer with the reflash in place? or was it a stock map, and they found the old one? ive been told you should flash back, and wait a little while, and try another dealer, if you can.. ive also read some dealers wont cover this sometimes as its considered a luxury item(personally i find that to be BS) but ive read it several times on evo forums..
I absolutely brought it to the dealer as is. Part of it is that I didn't really want to try to trick them into warrantying something that might be unscrupulous. But also, the car's obviously modded, regardless of ECU reflash. And I do not have all the stock parts to put back on. So I figured modded meant modded and it would all work out the same. I dropped the car off and mentioned it had some mods and the service manager didn't think it was an issue.

An hour later I got the phone call. He took the car out for a ride and found it to be faster than the standard EVOs and RAs he's worked on and wanted to know my mod list. At that point I started with things like exhaust and intake and worked my way to upgraded turbo and Kaizen tuning doing what they do. And once we got there he asked if the ECU had been reflashed, and explained that if he sent in the ECU map, which is required for that warranty work, my warranty would be completely voided. So other issues, like suspension, would still be under warranty.

So now I really just need to deal with said pump, but I'd like to save a tiny bit of money prior.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsu_1984 View Post
If you want a pump that won't fail. Get ahold of these guys. I'll be ordering one before winter to replace mine that went bad. You'll just have to get someone (or yourself) to swap yours out and bleed the system. Or take it to the dealer.

http://www.acd-pump.com/?f_checkoutR...-services/c66t
I just ordered a rebuild kit from them for $155 shipped.

It looks pretty straight forward to rebuild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrYjQat4KGE

I'm not sure about the won't fail part but I'm going to try a little hondabond to seal mine up followed by some POR15 .
Old 09-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Good find, I love anything that let's you rebuild and keeps you out of the dealers hands..

minimal partial rolls $60(no tab grinding)

So cal fender roller rental $10 per day(3 day min) with $200 cash deposit. Includes Eastwood fender roller, heat gun and heavyweight carry bag.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
I dropped the car off and mentioned it had some mods and the service manager didn't think it was an issue.

At that point I started with things like exhaust and intake and worked my way to upgraded turbo and Kaizen tuning doing what they do
I think thats where you went wrong by mentioning about the mods on the car. Same thing happened to me recently, pump went dead. Took it to the dealership to have it checked out and never mentioned anything about what was done to the car. But I do believe that not all dealerships are the same. Some are more stricter than the others. I was fortunate enough to have it replaced under warranty.
RA - Built head - Built SST - ID1000cc - GTX3576R - GSC S2 cams - GSC beehives/Ti retainers - Timing Chain kit - ARP head studs - AMS fuel rail - AMS Widemouth dp - TurboXS exhaust - DrivenFab oil catch can - MAP oil pan - MAP cast manifold - AEM wideband - COBB 3 port EBCS - Tial QRJ - Sakura 3.5 intake - Kozmic Walbro 450 fuel pump - Depo Racing fmic/licp - TS engine/exhaust mounts - Cusco bar - D2 RS coil - Megan Racing control arms/toe - Whiteline sway bars - Brembo 6 piston

Tuned by TJ
Old 09-26-2014, 03:12 PM

oh they dropped the price...a couple of years back they were like $200...I think you have to remove the whole rear bumper to get to the pump right?
- 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 Obsidian Black
www.newtiburon.com

- 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Wicked White
www.clubralliart.com

- 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec Karussel White
http://www.gencoupe.com/
Old 09-27-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliart View Post
oh they dropped the price...a couple of years back they were like $200...I think you have to remove the whole rear bumper to get to the pump right?

If not mistaken, the right rear tire has to come out in order to install ACD pump, I dont think you have to remove rear bumper to get to the pump.

ACD pump is right by exhaust muffler.
RA - Built head - Built SST - ID1000cc - GTX3576R - GSC S2 cams - GSC beehives/Ti retainers - Timing Chain kit - ARP head studs - AMS fuel rail - AMS Widemouth dp - TurboXS exhaust - DrivenFab oil catch can - MAP oil pan - MAP cast manifold - AEM wideband - COBB 3 port EBCS - Tial QRJ - Sakura 3.5 intake - Kozmic Walbro 450 fuel pump - Depo Racing fmic/licp - TS engine/exhaust mounts - Cusco bar - D2 RS coil - Megan Racing control arms/toe - Whiteline sway bars - Brembo 6 piston

Tuned by TJ
Old 10-16-2014, 01:21 PM

I'm not sure if this applies to Ralliarts (although I would hope / expect that it does), but call up your local dealer and ask about the "new" extended warranty on the ACD/AYC Pump.

I drive a 2008 Evo X GSR (original owner) and they told me that Mitsubishi extended the warranty on the ACD/AYC Pump to be 10 yrs / 100 k miles. I've heard that if you're not the original owner, you get a 5 yr / 50 k mile warranty on the pump .. Either way, it's worth a call to Mitsu to save a possible $1,500+labor!