ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 06-24-2015, 08:36 PM

Default SST disengaging every 3 seconds

Ok guys, this is a new one for me. I've done countless searches and have come up with nothing relevant so far.
Car is an 09 RA, 120kms (75miles) has boost pill and GST basemap as well as K&N filter and SSport mode (rarely used).
Whether driving or stopped in gear, every 3 seconds or so, the light next to my shifter indicating "D" will flash quickly, and the transmission will disengage entirely for about a second. In reverse, same thing, and my reverse lights flash as well, and the SST is temporarily in neutral basically.

I drove home from work after this started happening, with great difficulty. If I'm on the throttle when it happens, it's as though I just put it in neutral, and it will rev up accordingly and then 'clunk' rather firmly back into gear where I can instantly get back on the throttle.

What's also interesting to note is that manual mode just confuses the crap out of the transmission and it gets overridden anyways. It won't stay in the gear I've selected because every time it jumps into neutral (which is every 3 seconds or so) it will shift however it wants.

This is a ridiculous issue and I'm really hoping I could get pointed in the right direction here. Has anybody had any similar type of issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
In reverse, same thing, and my reverse lights flash as well, and the SST is temporarily in neutral basically.
^this happened to me when I had my RA. Happened about a handful of times during my ownership(3 yrs).

I was told that I was shifting into R too quickly and not letting the tranny do its thing. It was suggested to shift into D then shift back into R.

All of those other issues you are experiencing, unfortunately, I have never encountered....maybe SSport might have something to do with it? How long have you had SSport?

zeRep
Old 06-25-2015, 07:18 AM

I've had it a little over a month or so, and I've only used it a handful of times, mostly racing. Hadn't used it in a few days when this all started happening.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:59 AM

I've done countless research on these things since I got this car about a year ago. I'm no expert, so I won't give you my assumptions; however, make a phone call to the techs at Jacks Transmissions. Those guys are great and they'll give you all sorts of information just because they like talking about it. I would recommend taking the car to the dealership to run a TCU diagnostics first and seeing what kind of codes you pull. Then call those guys. Obviously they'll probably try to sell you something, but either way, definitely worth the 30 minute phone call. They can point you in the right direction without just telling you to swap it out.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:24 AM

Taking it in is on the list of things to do potentially, but I don't have the money right now to be in the dealership every week lol.
I was just hoping it was a problem somebody has already discovered a fix for that I can do myself. If not, then I'll be taking it to the dealership.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Taking it in is on the list of things to do potentially, but I don't have the money right now to be in the dealership every week lol.
I was just hoping it was a problem somebody has already discovered a fix for that I can do myself. If not, then I'll be taking it to the dealership.
Careful with the dealership

They might just recommend replacing the TCU or the entire Tranny itself.

Back in 2010 they werent trained to take apart the tranny and really diagnose it. Most just tried going the warranty route..

zeRep

Last edited by zeRep85; 06-25-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:01 PM

That's a good part of the reason I'm trying to see if there is anything I can do myself first. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and usually do all my own work.
I would love if there were some experience with this previously that I could work with.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1s7an View Post
make a phone call to the techs at Jacks Transmissions. Those guys are great and they'll give you all sorts of information just because they like talking about it. I would recommend taking the car to the dealership to run a TCU diagnostics first and seeing what kind of codes you pull. Then call those guys.
^Then try this.

Jacks Transmission will be rebuilding my 5-speed in the near future

zeRep
Old 06-29-2015, 12:28 AM

Duke, any news on this?

How often did you change your SST fluid? Do you have any aftermarket filter and/or cooler for the SST oil?
Old 07-02-2015, 08:37 AM

Sorry the late post guys. Got everything sorted out (I think).

I took it to the local dealer and the tech said he's seen this before and that it was just some loose wiring somewhere in the shifter assembly. He tore the whole assembly apart, cleaned and greased everything and put it all back together.
There was nothing noticeably wrong with anything, but it appears to have solved my problem.

That's two wiring issues in two weeks causing my SST to act up. I'm slowly losing faith. But running strong for the time being.