ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart General

Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM

Smile Looking to buy a Ralliart. Have some misc. tech questions.

Hello all. I just introduced myself in the newbies forum. I have been into Mitsu's for a while and am looking at picking up a Ralliart this summer. I've been into the tuning scene for a while and had some technical questions as well as some general ones. I'm doing my homework right now if you cant tell =) If you guys can help or if the mods need to move this around for the appropriate people to see it would be awesome. I allready looked around to find as many answers I could but these are the ones I needed additional help with.

So here we go:

*What are the known weaknesses of the 4B11T motor ?

*What is the boost capacity/measurements/specs of the TD04-15T-7 (specifically)

*What affordable/bang for the buck upgrades are compatible with the Cobb AccessPort ?

*Can anyone confirm the 300-320ftlb limit of the TC-SST ?

*Can anyone confirm the exact curb weight ? I have heard all over from 3400 to 3500+

*Can anyone give me the curb weights of the OEM rims ?

*What are common areas of concern ? (rattles, noises, any common electronic malfuncions ?

My plans for the car are to tune the car (have had experience with Tactrix and it was a pain, so I'm going to go with a preprogammed Cobb this time around), do a cat-back exhaust (see above question about compatible mods with Accessport), and definitely swap out rims and get wider tires. I will also most likely buy the tranny cooling system because I enjoy drag racing.

I would like to get the car to at least 250ish whp to start and would like to be capable of running at least mid-13 second 1/4 mile runs.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 AM

I've answered a few below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzyman View Post
Hello all. I just introduced myself in the newbies forum. I have been into Mitsu's for a while and am looking at picking up a Ralliart this summer. I've been into the tuning scene for a while and had some technical questions as well as some general ones. I'm doing my homework right now if you cant tell =) If you guys can help or if the mods need to move this around for the appropriate people to see it would be awesome. I allready looked around to find as many answers I could but these are the ones I needed additional help with.

So here we go:

*What are the known weaknesses of the 4B11T motor ?

*What is the boost capacity/measurements/specs of the TD04-15T-7 (specifically)
>>>>
Mike at RRE capped mine at roughly 19psi to ensure longevity. I saw another member on here running 23-24psi but I don't know what the life of her turbo will be.
>>>>

*What affordable/bang for the buck upgrades are compatible with the Cobb AccessPort ?
>>>>
Intake, exhaust, EVO X used intercooler at the bare minimum. Probably more but you should hit up Blaze & HB Speed. Blaze is getting his car tuned there right now.

*Can anyone confirm the 300-320ftlb limit of the TC-SST ?
>>>>
I haven't heard of anyone willing to risk breaking it with more than that.
>>>>

*Can anyone confirm the exact curb weight ? I have heard all over from 3400 to 3500+
>>>>
Yeah, unless I'm interpreting the manual wrong and the plate on the side of the car, it weighs about 4300. I would love to be proven wrong though!
>>>>

>>>>
HEAVY. Next time I rotate em I will have to put them on the scale and find out. They are a beast to lift though.
>>>>

*What are common areas of concern ? (rattles, noises, any common electronic malfuncions ?
>>>>
Well, you already listed the torque limit of the tranny, I haven't had other issues and I'm well past 16k miles.
>>>>

My plans for the car are to tune the car (have had experience with Tactrix and it was a pain, so I'm going to go with a preprogammed Cobb this time around), do a cat-back exhaust (see above question about compatible mods with Accessport), and definitely swap out rims and get wider tires. I will also most likely buy the tranny cooling system because I enjoy drag racing.

I would like to get the car to at least 250ish whp to start and would like to be capable of running at least mid-13 second 1/4 mile runs.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:12 PM

The 4300lb you listed is the gross weight, or maximum weight that the car can weigh. The weight I'm looking for is the curb weight which is the weight of the car without passengers, but with full fuel/fluids.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:14 PM

And also to respond to your answers about compatible upgrades with the Cobb Accessport: They say with their tunes that you cannot use an aftermarket intake/filter but you can use a catback (not turboback) exhaust. Am I correct in assuming that this is just to protect them from liability issues and that a few little things isnt going to skew the A/F ratio very much ? The fact that they said that using a drop in filter like a K&N would throw it off that much is surprising to me.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
The 4300lb you listed is the gross weight, or maximum weight that the car can weigh. The weight I'm looking for is the curb weight which is the weight of the car without passengers, but with full fuel/fluids.
Ah! That makes more sense.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...df356c6a3f8304

Quote:
And also to respond to your answers about compatible upgrades with the Cobb Accessport: They say with their tunes that you cannot use an aftermarket intake/filter but you can use a catback (not turboback) exhaust. Am I correct in assuming that this is just to protect them from liability issues and that a few little things isnt going to skew the A/F ratio very much ? The fact that they said that using a drop in filter like a K&N would throw it off that much is surprising to me.
Well, that's why I suggested to talk with HB Speed. As they have had experience with that product. It might be that they have not developed an A/F map that handles aftermarket intakes - each design of an intake would likely require a different map. To shed some light on this...

I stopped by RRE last night to talk with Mike about a few things. I asked him if putting in a drop in filter would require a fresh tune on the dyno for my car and he said no. Due to the location of the MAF on the RA, dropins had no affect when he dyno'd the car stock or tuned. For open element filters with custom tubing, that would require a tune to handle them as they change the way the airflow interacts with the MAF.

He also said that they had some pretty cool plans for the factory loaner mitus gave them. I don't want to steal his thunder so I will let him chime in when he deems fit. Lets just say he has planned some things that will answer a lot of our questions...
Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
be patient with the cobb AP. It was just released last week for the RA's. Thats why theres only a limitted amount of off the shelf tunes available right now. I think someone just had cobb do a tune for Downpipe and highflow cat. was posted up on the evom forums. I'm sure as time goes by more and more tunes will become available for download from cobb's site.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 PM

I answered the wheel weight question here:

http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?p=3418#post3418

Mike W
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 AM

ill be installnig a 2.5 inch downpipe with the ultimate racing cat back...is it ok going to a 2.5 inch downpipe to a 3 inch cat?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 PM

As long as it is going to bigger on it's way back, that is fine.

If you were to go from a 3" DP to a stock cat, that would negate any gains from the larger DP.

Mike W
Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 PM

You've asked for some very specific information that might not be easy to come across. For some of your questions, it's just too soon to tell, but for others, I might be able to give my experiences.

*What are the known weaknesses of the 4B11T motor?

It's really too soon to tell on this. If you're talking about things like crank walk, Mitsu engines haven't really had those kinds of problems since the 7-bolt 4G63s (and even then, the problem was slightly exaggerated). I'd almost rather focus on the strengths of the 4B11T. The MIVEC is improved over the MIVEC on the EVO IX 4G63 (it's both intake and exhaust). Due to being an aluminum block, it is about 40-50 lbs (~45 IIRC) lighter than the 4G63.

The only real weaknesses I can think of are the transverse layout: This makes the drivetrain heavier and the center of gravity higher than the number one competitor (Subaru). Also, word on the street is that the RA actually has smaller fuel injectors than the EVO.

*What is the boost capacity/measurements/specs of the TD04-15T-7 (specifically)?

Mitsubishi has traditionally been very stingy about giving out the mapping, specs, measurements, etc. of their turbos, so don't hold out hope for getting the detailed specs anytime soon. As some people have already said, the turbo seems to hold about 22-23 psi of boost, but peters out at about 6,500 rpm or so.

Honestly, the sky is the limit. The Cobb AccessPort (if you truly want to go that route rather than using the Tactrix cable) is a very versatile platform. Most reputable tuners can work with the AccessPort software and custom design a map using pretty much any modifications you might want. In addition, Cobb usually hosts OTS (off the shelf) maps for some of the more common modifications. For instance, I'm pretty sure they are going to offer a map for an EVO X turbo upgrade at some point.

*Can anyone confirm the 300-320ftlb limit of the TC-SST?

AMS can. It really depends on whose dyno you are talking about (some read higher and others read lower), but the general consensus is that that is about the limit before the clutches start slipping.

As far as I know, no one has found the listed curb weight of 3462 lbs to be inaccurate.

Mike did list the various weights in another thread, but that was not just the rim alone, if that is what you are asking for. Since the Toyo RA-1 weighs 23 lbs, and the rim/tire combo weighed 46 lbs, the stock rim should weigh 23 lbs.

I don't have many concerns about the car. It is well built, and I think it was a very good value. However, it is what it is. If I had it to do over again, I might not buy the RA. I thought I was at a different place in my life than I really am, and knowing what I know now, I would have waited a month and bought a GSR instead.

Last edited by Ladogaboy; 02-02-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Tags
cobb, questions, ralliart, tc-sst, tech