ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Articles and HOW-TOs
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2011, 07:49 AM

Default Whiteline rear sway bar

I just bought a new Whiteline Rear Sway Bar. Does anybody has any "how to install guide" best if with pictures. Any opinions. All are welcome. Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wwralliart77

You would need to get this professionally installed. Removal of the rear sub frame as well as the rear differential is required to gain access to the stock rear sway bar as well as to install the new one. I did this on my RA some time ago. You are also going to need to purchase new rear differential fluid direct from Mitsubishi. Install price is prob gonna make you change your mind about installing it. Unless your a mechanic your gonna have to pay upwards of $400 for install. GL!
Old 02-27-2011, 01:33 PM

What he said. This install should definitely be done on a lift and not in your garage. yeah you can do it that way but too much to risk nevermind the safety issues. If you do get it done make sure you are present and take pics at each step.

I was thinking this as a future install but have no idea as to which holes to use on the ends. This bar is adjustable and has 2 or more holes on the ends so you can adjust how much torque or twist force trying to keep the car flat when corning etc. Was not quite sure on how the word it, but I think you know what I mean.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:33 PM

Last time I installed Rear Sway Bar was on 05 GTI. The car did not come with sway bar installed from the factory. IT was an add on. It took me about 30 min from the time the car went on the lift till it was all completed. Now you really scared me.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to toredefine

I'm sure you have installed the rear sway bar already, but this is for people who haven't. I don't have pics, so I'll try to explain the best I can. I did it an easier way, but I had three friends with me to help figure it out.

Undue the sway bar from the endlinks and rear subframe (brackets/bushings). There are four bolts connecting the driveshaft to the rear diff. I don't know how to explain very well where this area is, but we didn't pull the driveshaft out of the differential so there wasn't any fluid leakage, but it's the joint in the driveshaft closest to the rear diff. Pull your e-brake on HARD, so the wheels lock up, and you have some support when you're loosening these 4 bolts on the driveshaft.

We then disconnected the rear differential from the rear subframe and had it resting on a jack so it's not dangling too far down. There are only three large bolts that hold the rear diff. to the car. One runs parallel to the rear diff. and connects through a large rubber bushing through the middle of the rear subframe, pretty easy to spot. The other two are under the diff. with large washers and large rubber plates with teeth on them. You'll need that jack before loosening these 3 bolts. Pump the jack up so it just lifts up the diff. a few millimeters, then loosen the bolts. Once the rear diff. is free, lower it on the jack until needed.

Then just slide and wiggle the stock rear sway bar through this opening.

You'll need help with this for sure, but this job is definitely do-able at home.

Good luck!

Last edited by toredefine; 05-02-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

As long as you have the right tools it can be done at home or in the garage.
So are we gonna see more RA on youtube tail happy sliding videos?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to toredefine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
As long as you have the right tools it can be done at home or in the garage.
So are we gonna see more RA on youtube tail happy sliding videos?
LOL! We'll see! I plan on doing some track days this year.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:39 PM

I just had the sway bar installed.
Thanks to this forum i made sure not to do it at home =D...

the mechanic probably spent more time installing the sway than dropping my car... (AND he only charged me 75$ for the install... which was totally PITA)

I was there the whole way when he was installing it.
Basically disconnect the rear LSD and he pulled the driver side drive shaft... and dropped the diff a few inches to have the bar in/out.

overall, i would've never been able to do it at home... props to you all DIY'ers!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by initial_d2k View Post
I just had the sway bar installed.
Thanks to this forum i made sure not to do it at home =D...

the mechanic probably spent more time installing the sway than dropping my car... (AND he only charged me 75$ for the install... which was totally PITA)

I was there the whole way when he was installing it.
Basically disconnect the rear LSD and he pulled the driver side drive shaft... and dropped the diff a few inches to have the bar in/out.

overall, i would've never been able to do it at home... props to you all DIY'ers!
What are your thoughts on how it affects handling?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 PM

I havent done much aggressive driving since the install...
Because I installed with my lowering spring, im not sure with one affected the most on the handling.

I did notice the springs feel stiffs (as in harsher over speed bump) and high speed cornering is more stable.
Also, the steering feels lighter and more responsible (yet to confirm)...
It's been raining here for the past few days, dont wanna push the car too much.