ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 PM

Default About launching this car @ 3k & 5k

I want to know if i doing this correct and if any of you been doing this too, its about launching this thing. Anyone else tried it? I have so, what i do is i put it in sport mode and turn off the traction control and with my feet i hold the gas and break getting the RPM to reach 3k and letting go of the break. it seems to work, but wanted to make sure it was right, and maybe get some feedback about maybe trying to let it reach 5k instead 3k before letting off.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Rallihead Sportback View Post
I want to know if i doing this correct and if any of you been doing this too, its about launching this thing. Anyone else tried it? I have so, what i do is i put it in sport mode and turn off the traction control and with my feet i hold the gas and break getting the RPM to reach 3k and letting go of the break. it seems to work, but wanted to make sure it was right, and maybe get some feedback about maybe trying to let it reach 5k instead 3k before letting off.
Idk about 5K then again you got 2010. From what I have read so far is 3K safely or "SLOW DOWN" warning & limp mode.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM

Sounds like a great way to kill a clutch...

In my opinion, when you apply gas and brake at the same time, the power from the engine is being applied to the wheels, hence the reason for feeling the car lurch slightly when doing so. In order for the energy to dissipate somewhere, the computer would have to let the clutch slip until you let go of the brake.

A similar thing happens even on a full manual transmission layout with clutch pedal and gear box shifter. Your bringing the RPMs to 5k, then letting go of the clutch pedal, the clutch plate will be slipping like mad until enough friction is made that the car starts to move forward.

The end result is usually the smell of burnt clutch in the air afterwards - whether manual or SST. I only did a 5k rpm launch in my EVO 8 twice - I never experienced problems with my transmission in the 30k+ miles I had it. Other people complained their clutches were failing within 10k+ miles. It was likely they were dumping their clutches for 5k rpm launches. Friends were always bugging me to launch hard and I was always telling them NO. If they want to cough up $1200-$1500 to replace the clutch early then they always had the option of depositing it at my feet before doing so. They never took me up on the offer.

If it were me, I likely will never do the equivalent of a clutch dump in my RA. I need this thing to last a long time and clutch dumps just are not one of those things to promote longevity.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:14 PM

yea i get that slow down warnig sometimes, its like "transmission over heat slow down!!"
Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 AM

i think better practice is to use the hand brake. i've yet to try it since the car only has 600miles on it.
another thing. i wouldn't rev to 3k and hold it forever waiting for buddy next to you to stage.

the less time your holding 3k and braking the better imo. you'd probably avoid overheating the SST as well which it sounds like your doing.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator

It seems that you guys are treating this transmission like an automatic with a torque converter rather than a manual transmission with a clutch that you can easily fry...next we'll be hearing complaints about burned out clutches and the expense that goes with it, because I'm pretty sure replacing the clutches on an SST isn't like replacing the clutch on a conventional manual transmission version.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-4lBExVXdc
Old 12-04-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZL View Post
man that sucks for that guy... guess im gonna have to take it easy on her from now on...
Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 PM

what i'd like to know is how the hell people are launching these cars then? if it seems whatever you do leads to trans failure. kinda lame if you ask me. ah well if the clutches go... they go. more reaons to put in the upgraded clutch discs i guess.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 PM

I think what it all comes down to is moderation!!! If you are doing a brake stand at every set of lights and trying to race everyone then you are obviously going to run into problems!!! I think we have all seen guys driving like this on city streets. Don't get me wrong I like to have fun in my car and yes I have done breakstands in my car but like stated earlier I do this in moderations .