ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 PM

Default Headlight upgrade

My wife is less than pleased with the illumination provided by her factory headlights.

Could anyone suggest an upgrade that will illuminate the road better for her that I could install for a reasonable price?

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wwralliart77

You can always install some aftermarket HIDs (High Intensity Discharge) lights. I believe the number you'll need is 9006 and they come in different brightnesses with the corresponding color. I say your best bet is the 6k option which is a bright white and looks the most factory.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 PM

^ thats correct

you could also get the projectors. will be costly to do so but i always found projectors made it easier to see, theres less light lost form the bulb than regular lamps i think
Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 PM

I agree. If/When I swap to HID for the headlights, I will be using projectors with them. Better beam/pattern control. By better, I mean, w/o the projectors you have next to none.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV
Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

ChimeZ, what car does your wife drive?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 AM

Default headlight follow up

Thanks for the suggestions, any suggestions on a manufacturer for the kits. I never upgraded headlamps and am not sure what companies have reputable products. Aside of course Hella, KC etc. Not even sure if they make kits like that.

Bravo, the wife has a 2011 Ralliart rotor glow in color that she loves more than me.
It's factory for the most for now however she did have me install a underglow kit that matches the paint. I thought the neon would be cheesy, but, have to admit it does look good.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimeZ View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, any suggestions on a manufacturer for the kits. I never upgraded headlamps and am not sure what companies have reputable products. Aside of course Hella, KC etc. Not even sure if they make kits like that.

Bravo, the wife has a 2011 Ralliart rotor glow in color that she loves more than me.
It's factory for the most for now however she did have me install a underglow kit that matches the paint. I thought the neon would be cheesy, but, have to admit it does look good.
The best thing to do is to upgrade to a HID kit, but then you run the risk of being stopped by local police because of how bright they are with the halogen headlight assembly. There are some aftermarket headlights for the current generation Lancer now, dunno about the quality though. You could always find a pair of OEM projectors but that's very costly.

Try using Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, I have those in my Ralliart and they're MUCH better than the OEM bulbs. In fact, Sylvania has a new brighter "HID alternative" bulb out now that is supposed to contain xenon gas for a HID effect without the actual HID's. I'm going to give them a try soon.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 AM

i have 6k hids with original headlight assembly no issues with police
Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post
Try using Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, I have those in my Ralliart and they're MUCH better than the OEM bulbs. In fact, Sylvania has a new brighter "HID alternative" bulb out now that is supposed to contain xenon gas for a HID effect without the actual HID's. I'm going to give them a try soon.
I have the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra better than stock but it is no HID.
I would buy HID but the flicker sometimes doesnt work right.
HID are not that expensive anymore.

Now HID LED are the new craze. People claim it is brighter. 100 LUMENS PER WATT! So if you had 1.21 Jiggawatts, you can travel back to the future. ;D

Never tried it myself, sounds interesting if I had the money maybe I will light up the road more.

Link here: http://www.malibuaerospace.com/sitepages/pid73.php

Last edited by MTZL; 02-07-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM

I went to a 6000 kelvin HID kit a few months ago and I LOVE it. It makes a big difference, and since we have reflector in reflector halogen headlights, they aren't "white outs" like the kids in the hondas. Mine actually have a pretty good cut off still, but the light is much brighter and crisper.