ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Default ASC on or off for Auto X

As the title says, do u keep it on or off? All i can seem to find are MRs that argue between a short off or a long off (off/on vs. off/off) but since we dont have AYC i was just curious if the autox'ers keep it on or off. I felt it kick in a few times and im not sure what wouldve happened if it was off. thanks for the input
NNJR SCCA Novice RTA
Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Turn the ASC off for any level of performance driving.

I've tracked my car in the dry, rain and snow, and in all circumstances, the car is far easier to instinctively control and throttle steer with the nanny safety net turned off.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 PM

definitely off unless you don't feel you're ready for it - which there is NO shame in admitting

ASC is worse if the RA's also have throttle cut when it comes in like the Evo's. Can't remember if they do or not
Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
ASC is worse if the RA's also have throttle cut when it comes in like the Evo's. Can't remember if they do or not
They do. I almost got killed by a SUV because of that.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM

im not sure how it feels in the evo but on some sharp turns in the RA it felt like my car wanted to downshift even tho I was in manual. since my adrenaline was pumpin I didnt look at the dash but maybe it was the aforementioned cut. i havent autox enuff to declare definitively what it was or wasnt but i only really felt it on real sharp sweepers and towards the end of a 6 cone slalom
NNJR SCCA Novice RTA
Old 04-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Start off with it ON. & once you feel you can handle the turns & speed/momentum then turn it off.

With it on, it will cut out your throttle once it senses traction lost.
You can feel it cutting out but once you let off the throttle a bit, you can get back on until it loses traction again.

With it off, you have to be very careful & know exactly how your RA behave to what input you are doing.

You definitely wants to be in the right gear, it helps with rotation & skid control.
I always downshift before the turn.
Limiting your steering angle & staying on the line will help you with speed.
Most auto x only require half the steering input.

Turning before the turn helps you with skid.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoX_Ralliart View Post
im not sure how it feels in the evo but on some sharp turns in the RA it felt like my car wanted to downshift even tho I was in manual. since my adrenaline was pumpin I didnt look at the dash but maybe it was the aforementioned cut. i havent autox enuff to declare definitively what it was or wasnt but i only really felt it on real sharp sweepers and towards the end of a 6 cone slalom
the SST won't downshift with high lateral load, so if it felt like it was, then it was probably ASC cutting in with throttle cut (thanks bryan for confirming - funny that I never felt it when triggering ASC on the Outlander test-drives)

the throttle cut sucks, but have an instructor provide input before you decide to cut it off. it might still be you overcooking the corner - which takes forever to correct if you learn it wrong, and wears out tires/brakes faster. if it isn't you overspeeding into the corner, then yes, ASC is holding you back and you're ready to cut it off
Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@gst View Post
They do. I almost got killed by a SUV because of that.
+1 It's frightening to push you foot floor, see that stupid traction control icon come on and have no power to get you out of trouble.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 AM

I agree completely with the comments made by Exyia and MTZL.

In retrospect, I should have prefaced my comments with a note that these are just my personal views and biases. I have been lapping for the better part of a decade, and my previous car was near 400HP, RWD and had no traction or stability control. As my experience may not be the same as yours, and you should learn the basics first if required. I had the basics engrained in me by learning to track a car that wasn't very forgiving of mistake in form. Get it wrong in my old car at speed, especially on a wet track, and it would bite you.

Getting proper training for performance driving is a must. Learn the fundamentals on braking, steering, driving line, etc. You don't want to pickup and bad habits, and the RA's forgiving handling can mask mistakes in form more so than other cars.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 AM

Another note, the brake setup in a stock RA isn't ideal for performance driving. This will become clear very soon.

Upgrading to a quality aftermarket pad is highly recommended. After that, you can look into high temp brake fluid & possibly stainless steel lines.