ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Question Bail on Ralliart for....BRZ?

Hey all,

I haven't been on in a while, though I've been having a freakin' blast in the snow here in the northeast; every storm is a new multi-hour drifting adventure.

This car is a lot of fun, but the upkeep and gas mileage is less than stellar (which I knew when getting the car) and I may want to move to a less complicated machine. I've already had the transmission replaced, now the ACD pump, and soon the timing chain.

I've been looking at the Subie BRZ/Scion FRS. Do any of you have experience with this car? Price wise, the BRZ is a little less expensive monthly and insurance is less, along with about double the gas mileage, than the ralliart. Downside is no AWD, and zero storage space compared to the sportback. I'd hate to see the ralliart go, but I'm open to the idea.

Any thoughts??

2010 rg sportback
Old 02-07-2014, 01:59 PM

I know it's not all about speed, BUT.................

Fixed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skills View Post
Downside is being slower from stoplight to stoplight than an effing Miata
Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Honestly with all the snow lately theres no way, for me, that Id go back to rwd. I used to have a 350Z before getting a Jeep then the Ralliart. IMO, the Ralliart is so much better than the other two. Both the Z and the Jeep got way worse mpgs than my car and honestly I dont think the gas mileage is all that bad. The Z being rwd is the reason I got rid of it, I just couldnt deal with the car anymore in the snow. My Jeep was lifted w/ Mud Terrains whic gave me terrible mpgs and although it would go through anything the tires it had were horrible when trying to stop, which resulted in sliding constantly. I to have had my acd pump replaced but that the only issue Ive had with this car really and Ill stay with my Ralliart for quite some time. As for insurance my Ralliart is listed as a regular Lancer plus being in my thirties and married my insurance is like next to nothing.

D2 Racing USA
R1Concepts
Avant Garde Wheels

Avant Garde F142 Wheels 18x10.5 D2 Racing Air Suspension R1Concepts Drilled/Slotted Rotors Kit Unnwerke Fender Flares Rexpeed Carbon Fiber JDP Carbon Fiber Lip CBRD Rad Lite Turbo AMS Single Exhaust, Intercooler, & UICP Boostin Performance High Flow Cat Ultimate Racing Intake, Down Pipe & LICP
Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM

Realistically, I'm getting an average of 12-17 mpg. There are a lot of hills here and I can't help but race around everywhere because the car is so much fun.

I think I'm attracted to the small, go kart race car/miata vibe of the BRZ. I wish I could rent one for a day and see what I think after that.

2010 rg sportback
Old 02-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I know it's not all about speed, BUT.................

Fixed...

hahaha yes, this too. Though, I'm reading in reviews all over that nobody seems to mind the lack of power.

2010 rg sportback
Old 02-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills View Post
hahaha yes, this too. Though, I'm reading in reviews all over that nobody seems to mind the lack of power.
No one that has actually BOUGHT them mind the lack of power. But many Subie owners coming from WRXs have test drove them, and given an emphatic NO THANK YOU! I know what you mean, though, with a light, rear drive toy. But there is no way I personally would take that in lieu of the RA. Maybe when the Ralli is paid off, I'll get a used S2000 for fun.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 PM

keep the RA.. get a used miata for fun
you still get AWD, and you get the 'go kart' feeling on the twisty's
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 PM

Well, if I had to compare the two cars:

Performance: Ralliart
Braking: BRZ
Winter handling: Ralliart
Summer handling: BRZ
Space: Ralliart
Interior quality: BRZ
Interior features: Ralliart
Rear seats: Ralliart
Trunk space: Ralliart
Fuel consumption: BRZ
Ease/cost of tuning: Ralliart

They are very different, but if you want a car that can do it all, I'd keep the Ralliart.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:08 PM

thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful.

Since I'm a math guy I figured out the whole thing from a numbers standpoint, just to be objective about that side of things.

Long story short, the FRS would cost me about $2,000/year less than the Ralliart. Taking into account interest on my current loan, gas prices, gas mileage, and every possible thing, I'd save ~ $9,100 over 36 months with a frs lease.

That said, the residual of the ralliart is probably around that, so in the end if I were to sell the ralliart and compare the savings I would break even.

I suppose it really comes down to if I want a car that can do it all, or a small simple one trick sports car!

2010 rg sportback
Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 PM

Sounds like you just want a new car lol.