ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Tech Talk and Power Mods
Home Forums Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rralliart09
Default Exhaust diameter?

I had an exhaust shop local to me that does really good work. I got a quote Friday for a high flow cat allllll the way back with two smallish magnaflow mufflers and a resonator for $700!!!! Going to have him weld a second bung just in front of the cat for a wideband. I don't know how much that'll add but shouldn't be much. So anyway, on to my question. I don't want loud and I'm not going with a bigger turbo ever. He said he can either do 2.5" or 3" thought I'd split the difference at 2.75" but said he can only mandrel bend 2.5" or 3" Will I be good with 2.5" or should I go 3"? I'm getting a Cobb AP first and will eventually get a custom tune but that's down the road, literally since he closest place to me is 200 miles one way. Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks guys.
S-Sport and Launch Control
ETS 3" FMIC and UICP
Custom 2.5" TBE exhaust W/HFC dual Magnaflows 4" tips
R1 Concepts premium slotted rotors w/Stoptech pads
Prosport 60mm Premium boost gauge
Prosport 52mm Digital AFR gauge
Perrin column mount dual gauge pod
Blox Racing 490 shift knob in gunmetal W/Reverse Lockout Adapter
Sparco Assetto Gara 18x8 with Nitto NT555 235/40-18

"I ruin dreams all the time" -Markspd6
Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 PM

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong how ever.

1. You do not want loud
2. You never plan on going to a bigger turbo
3. Your o.k spending $700 dollars on an exhaust which will basically be a catback plus. Meaning a cat back system that will also include replacing the cat.
4. You are planning to go Cobb Ap with a custom tune.

To achieve all your goals have it look and sound nicer and save a bunch of money. Have a clean but nicer than OEM exhaust think 4" rolled tips etc..
Why not
1. Leave in the factory cat since you are not doing the down pipe and would still would have a major restriction and the oem cat will help keep it quiet pass any inspection and this costs you nothing to keep it. Also no check engine light constantly showing up from high flow cat.

2. Use an engineered name brand Cat back exhaust system like UR , Borla, Magna Flow etc..that will cost you your preferred 700 - 800 dollar range budget and give you the sound you desire. Also can get bung added for wideband as a $20 add on. System will bolt right up and shed weight off your car because quality stainless no rust etc..

Your Local exhaust shop in going to mandrel bend basic steel pipe etc. and there are always extras and will look not so great and will start rusting from day one. May hang down un slightly looking or may be too close to drive shaft. May need custom hangers welded in etc..

3. It's been posted a million times Boost pill $20 tactrix cable $200 and GST tune = Free.
Being able to tweak stuff according to how you drive your car.

Versus $500+ for Cobb Ap that has limited value and even less maps and cost of custom tune = Dyno time and tuning time of at least $150+ per hour.

This is just my opinion but I would rather you have a nice clean quiet car with a lightly deeper rumble that has an extra 40 Horse power at the wheels that surprises a few people on the street and at the track but won't attract the local cops and won't raise any flags at the dealership etc..
Old 11-11-2013, 07:22 AM

Mostly all correct sir and thank you for the very well written and thought out reply.

Here are the two things where I'll try and clairify. On the cat, my car has almost 70k miles and I just got her a month and a half ago so I'm wanting to replace it before it ever becomes an issue. Also I told him I wanted to go with a metal core. From all the reading I've been doing the factory cat is the biggest restriction on our cars and replacing it with an HFC gives the biggest gains in both HP and spool. He's getting the proper one with the factory O2 mounted in the center of the cat. Here's the website of the shop I'm using. He does VERY good work. http://www.clantonmuffler.com

For the Cobb vs GST I don't feel comfortable enough with using the GST map mainly because I can't even get the program to download. I can spin wrenches all day and do understand the theory behind tuning but I don't want to risk frying my car. The Cobb is well tested and I've not read about any negitives with using them. Also I can run the base map until I'm able to get a custom tune and I won't have to worry about the drive to Atlanta to get it done. Does that make sense? I never feel like my posts come across they way I mean them to lol.
ETS 3" FMIC and UICP

Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mkid Send a message via MSN to Mkid Send a message via Yahoo to Mkid

I agree that $700 doesn't really seem like a bargain. Anyways... to answer a question that I didn't see answered yet, I'd say that the diameter of the pipe doesn't affect the sound as much as the quality of the muffler so I'd say to just get the 3" and be prepared for anything. The less back pressure, the better in a turbo car.
D2 RS Coilovers
Evo X FMIC
Ultimate Racing turbo-back
400HP clutches from Jack's
AEM Intake

My Car Thread

From Florida? Click here!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:18 AM

$700 for a custom exhaust including a high flow cat is a pretty good price. What I was going to do is a Cobb HFC for $330 plus shipping and probably a magnaflow catback which are around $600 so I'm saving about $230. And thank you for answering the original question. Any other ideas or suggestions.
ETS 3" FMIC and UICP

Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkid View Post
I agree that $700 doesn't really seem like a bargain. Anyways... to answer a question that I didn't see answered yet, I'd say that the diameter of the pipe doesn't affect the sound as much as the quality of the muffler so I'd say to just get the 3" and be prepared for anything. The less back pressure, the better in a turbo car.
I just saw you're from Clearwater. I'm from Sarasota originally.
ETS 3" FMIC and UICP

Old 11-11-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rralliart09 View Post
Mostly all correct sir and thank you for the very well written and thought out reply.

Here are the two things where I'll try and clairify. On the cat, my car has almost 70k miles and I just got her a month and a half ago so I'm wanting to replace it before it ever becomes an issue. Also I told him I wanted to go with a metal core. From all the reading I've been doing the factory cat is the biggest restriction on our cars and replacing it with an HFC gives the biggest gains in both HP and spool. He's getting the proper one with the factory O2 mounted in the center of the cat. Here's the website of the shop I'm using. He does VERY good work. http://www.clantonmuffler.com

For the Cobb vs GST I don't feel comfortable enough with using the GST map mainly because I can't even get the program to download. I can spin wrenches all day and do understand the theory behind tuning but I don't want to risk frying my car. The Cobb is well tested and I've not read about any negitives with using them. Also I can run the base map until I'm able to get a custom tune and I won't have to worry about the drive to Atlanta to get it done. Does that make sense? I never feel like my posts come across they way I mean them to lol.
O.k Did you know that when a cat gets old and dealership wants to replace it. It is because the guts of the cat have basically been heated up and cooled down so many times the metal fatigues and corrodes so bad that the back pressure of the exhaust starts blowing bits of the core out thus turning it into a high flow cat over time because like a river wearing away the soil and bedrock it erodes all restrictive parts first creating better flow. Old cat = Red Neck high flow cat.

Or Match the High flow cat from the same name brand as the cat back exhaust to complete the install. I think it was implied in my above post that most after market Exhausts for our car is 3". Think about going ceramic instead of steel mesh since you don't plan on any big horsepower. This would at least give you a partially functioning cat as far as looking like stock to pass inspections and would help a little with emissions etc.

Either way you don't sound like the type of person who is going to like seeing a check engine light staring back at them on an almost daily basis. Before everybody gets on the but you can disable and clear said light band wagon or the get an O2 sensor extension wagon. Both of these are Band-Aid solutions that don't always work or work intermittently at best.

If you are uncomfortable doing the GST tune yourself. I think there are enough people on here that could do it for you if you asked. You will find someone near you who could do it for you for a case of beer or a few bucks etc..

I agree this shop looks like it does some incredible clean work but all the pictures I am seeing are of Muscle cars that have big full frames giant driveshaft tunnels and great ground clearance. What I did not see was examples on smaller lower import cars.

In the end it is your car and your money and you have to be happy with the final product. I have sat back for 5 years now watching threads across several Ralliart themed or related Forums only to watch dozens of people make the same mistakes over and over like a bad movie stuck in a never ending loop. Sorry it makes me wanna scream. Kind of like that girl in the horror movie who always trips right when the monster is chasing her.

There are a lot of parts on our cars where we don't have any choices or we have to engineer stuff our selves. The exhaust on our car is about the only exception. We have choices from several manufactures that give us better flow and performance, combined with weight reduction, better look and sound. Not to mention 3x the lifespan of the stock exhaust.

Whatever you decide to do keep us posted and provide feedback as to how it went and what you might have done different. I would like to hear back from you in a year or so after living with the new configuration.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:18 AM

Will do Jackal and thank you. I live in the southern US so no salted roads and rust isn't as big of an issue. And no inspections either. And yes a CEL would drive me insane. When I got the quote he suggested the set up I was thinking about before I even showed him this pic and said that's what he usually does on the RX8s and similar imports he's worked on. He said he doesn't have pics of those cars on his site since they're a much smaller portion of his business than the good 'ol boys and their muscle cars.

ETS 3" FMIC and UICP

Last edited by Rralliart09; 11-11-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling
Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mkid Send a message via MSN to Mkid Send a message via Yahoo to Mkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Either way you don't sound like the type of person who is going to like seeing a check engine light staring back at them on an almost daily basis. Before everybody gets on the but you can disable and clear said light band wagon or the get an O2 sensor extension wagon. Both of these are Band-Aid solutions that don't always work or work intermittently at best.
I have a UR HFC and a Cobb AP and have never had a check engine light due to the O2 sensor...
D2 RS Coilovers
Evo X FMIC
Ultimate Racing turbo-back
400HP clutches from Jack's
AEM Intake

My Car Thread

From Florida? Click here!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 PM

It's my understanding (from when I modded my 06 Sentra SE-R SpecV) that all that's needed not to throw a CEL is that the second O2 sensor needs to read cleaner exhaust than the first one. Now that was a totally different car but I think the concepts are the same. No?
ETS 3" FMIC and UICP