ClubRalliart.com Your ad here
Old 08-20-2012, 10:54 AM

Default Continental DWS Tires

Anyone run these tires who can tell me how they compare to the stock Advans under dry conditions? Yes, I know they are all-season, and I'm comparing them to a summer tire, but everyone complains that the stock Yokos are terrible. I don't track my car, and it's my daily driver, but I drive fairly aggresively, and the stock tires have done well enough I suppose, so if the DWS are just as good or better, I'd be willing to run them all year. I'm also looking into possibly getting them in 235/40-18 on new wheels, and those size tires are rated XL with a 95 load index, so perhaps that would help the "squishy sidewall" a bit that I've read about.

I suppose another all-season option would be the Cooper Zeon RS3-A if anyone has any experience with them in comparison to the stock Yoko Advans? Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napius View Post
Anyone run these tires who can tell me how they compare to the stock Advans under dry conditions? Yes, I know they are all-season, and I'm comparing them to a summer tire, but everyone complains that the stock Yokos are terrible. I don't track my car, and it's my daily driver, but I drive fairly aggresively, and the stock tires have done well enough I suppose, so if the DWS are just as good or better, I'd be willing to run them all year. I'm also looking into possibly getting them in 235/40-18 on new wheels, and those size tires are rated XL with a 95 load index, so perhaps that would help the "squishy sidewall" a bit that I've read about.

I suppose another all-season option would be the Cooper Zeon RS3-A if anyone has any experience with them in comparison to the stock Yoko Advans? Thanks!
I have the DW in 225/40 rated XL on stock 18" rims, and the sidewalls are still soft
Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 PM

I run kumho ecsta 4x on stock rims...sidewall is a lil stiffer then yokos but not much...it's a zr rated and xl load...I'm happy with this set thus far (about 5000 miles)...

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Full Catback Exhaust
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 08-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Thank you both for the helpful feedback!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliNurse View Post
I run kumho ecsta 4x on stock rims...sidewall is a lil stiffer then yokos but not much...it's a zr rated and xl load...I'm happy with this set thus far (about 5000 miles)...
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm liking what I see so far. Do you run them all year? I noticed that Discount Tire Direct lists them as a ZR speed rating, but Tire Rack has them at a W speed rating. I don't see W as being a problem, but I want to make sure there aren't two versions of the tire.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you both for the helpful feedback!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm liking what I see so far. Do you run them all year? I noticed that Discount Tire Direct lists them as a ZR speed rating, but Tire Rack has them at a W speed rating. I don't see W as being a problem, but I want to make sure there aren't two versions of the tire.
There is 2 versions...the zr is the latest one they produce since mid last year...the w is before that of zr...I bought it from sears and they price matched on tirerack's pricing

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
There is 2 versions...the zr is the latest one they produce since mid last year...the w is before that of zr...I bought it from sears and they price matched on tirerack's pricing
Ahh okay, thanks! I guess right now the only drawback I see from the Ecsta 4X over the Conti DWS is that they are each a couple pounds heavier. You feel like they perform better on dry pavement than the stock Yoko Advan A10s?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Ahh okay, thanks! I guess right now the only drawback I see from the Ecsta 4X over the Conti DWS is that they are each a couple pounds heavier. You feel like they perform better on dry pavement than the stock Yoko Advan A10s?
Hell muthafuckin YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAH! LOL!

Anything is better then the A10...

The thing I'm looking for when I swap my set is traction rating and treadwear...I was looking at Ventus, Ziex and DWS...but treadwear on 4X wins me over...

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Hell muthafuckin YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAH! LOL!

Anything is better then the A10...

The thing I'm looking for when I swap my set is traction rating and treadwear...I was looking at Ventus, Ziex and DWS...but treadwear on 4X wins me over...
Isn't the DWS "supposed to" have a longer tread life? I know most people don't get near what Continental claims, but I'm not sure how they compare to the 4X in real life.

It sounds like the DWS is really good in the snow and wet for an all-season but lack under dry conditions, where the 4X is kind of the opposite, which is probably more what I'm interested in. You've been a huge help, so thank you!

If anyone else has any feedback on the DWS, 4X, Coopers, or really any other all-season that performs better on dry pavement than the stock Advans, let me know! I'm trying to order everything by the end of the month to take advantage of rebates.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Isn't the DWS "supposed to" have a longer tread life? I know most people don't get near what Continental claims, but I'm not sure how they compare to the 4X in real life.

It sounds like the DWS is really good in the snow and wet for an all-season but lack under dry conditions, where the 4X is kind of the opposite, which is probably more what I'm interested in. You've been a huge help, so thank you!

If anyone else has any feedback on the DWS, 4X, Coopers, or really any other all-season that performs better on dry pavement than the stock Advans, let me know! I'm trying to order everything by the end of the month to take advantage of rebates.
Since ur in PA..u get more wet&snow then I do here in CA...wet&snow traction for a DD is more important the dry traction...if u have more rainy days then dry days in a year...I would go with DWS...

Phase 1
[X] Cosworth Drop-In
[X] UR Upper ICP
[X] UR Lower ICP
[X] Evo X FMIC
[X] Evo X BOV

Phase 2 - Breaks
Old 08-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Since ur in PA..u get more wet&snow then I do here in CA...wet&snow traction for a DD is more important the dry traction...if u have more rainy days then dry days in a year...I would go with DWS...
Our weather is all over the place. For example, I got through this past winter on the stock Advans. Other winters we get a decent amount of snow. I should be able to work from home if the snow is too bad, and I avoid driving in snow unless I really have to, but I do need tires that can get from A to B if I have to drive in a bit of snow.