ClubRalliart.com Your ad here

Go Back   ClubRalliart.com > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Forums > 2009+ Lancer Ralliart Suspension, Wheels, Tires and

View Poll Results: Must the front and back tires have the same tread pattern?
no 3 15.79%
yes 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 PM

Default Tires!

It's time for me to get some tires but I only need 2. I want to change from the Yokohama to the Potenza. However, I was told by the dealer that I have to replace all 4 because the treads are different and that would cause a problem with the AWD. Is he on the up-and-up or is he trying to sell me 2 more tires than I need?

Suspicious but balding
Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 PM

you need to have 4 of the same tires because i know it will screw up the awd. even if tires are the same spec, they are all made differently and are al different diameters. you may find 2 that are very close, i would imagine if they arent 100 the same but 99 percent youll be fine. its not something you can definitively answer, try it, if it doesnt work and you throw lights, then get the other 2

Smoked Lights, Vortex Generator, Red Mitsu Logos, XXR 522 18x9.5 et38, Falken fk452 235/40/18, Rally Armor Mudflaps, UR Cat Back, UR High Flow Cat, UR Downpipe, Ur UICP, AMS Intercooler, Defi Racer Boost Gauge, Defi Racer Oil Temperature Gauge, Eibach Sportlines, Rexpeed CF Hood Dampers, Rexpeed A-Pillar Gauge Pod, Rexpeed CF Duckbill Lip Spoiler
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BravoZero

All four need to be the same on an AWD, period. If not, you'll have drastic differences in wheel RPM's and will inevitably screw up the AWD system.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 AM

This is one thing I have always been curious about. If the factory wants to avoid warranty issues so badly, why do they give you a doughnut for a spare tire??

I understand that all four must be the same overall circumference (not necessarily the same tire but crazy not to) for the AWD system to stay happy.

2010 WW Sedan
Custom RRE ABE
Cosworth Drop-in Filter
EvoX FMIC and UICP
ExoX BOV

Last edited by GAbOS; 07-24-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAbOS View Post
This is one thing I have always been curious about. If the factory wants to avoid warranty issues so badly, why do they give you a doughnut for a spare tire??

I understand that all four must be the same overall circumference (not necessarily the same tire) for the AWD system to stay happy.
That's why I'm probably going to end up ditching the spare. Probably won't work with having upgraded wheels and tires anyway, so I'll just throw a can of Fix A Flat back there and maybe a tire repair kit and be done with it. It'll save weight as well.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post
That's why I'm probably going to end up ditching the spare. Probably won't work with having upgraded wheels and tires anyway, so I'll just throw a can of Fix A Flat back there and maybe a tire repair kit and be done with it. It'll save weight as well.
The donut is for a super short trip, to get you to the tire shop. A short distance and not over 50mph.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlifetoy View Post
The donut is for a super short trip, to get you to the tire shop. A short distance and not over 50mph.
I know, but any chance of damage to the AWD system is a chance I don't want to take, short trip or not.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

I had two different spec front & back before. AWC feels *different* & changes the characteristics of the car. In my case it started driving like fwd car on wet autox like a dog dragging his ass on the ground & sometimes it would oversteer unexpectedly on the mountain.

The ride feels front set of wheels are going a bit faster than the rear (bald tires) but AWC is making sure it is 50/50.

After that, I got the cheapest tires all the way around of the same spec.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Same size yes its vital. Same thread pattern I don't think so, You should be fine. Unless you get a deal for getting all four at once I would get 2 now and give it a try.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZero View Post
If you have your tpms sensors in your wheels, DO NOT USE Fix A FLat. It can really screw up the sensors.